The Student Room Group

Maths modules for Physics degree

Hello, I'm planning to study physics at uni and I currently/ going to do the following maths modules:
C1, C2,C3,C4,S1,S2,D1,D2,M1,M2,FP1,FP2
I've heard that for physics degrees most of the maths is the further pure stuff and mechanics, so I was wandering whether it's worth me self studying FP3 and M3? How much of an advantage will this give me in getting a university place at a good physics uni? And I can't ask my teacher to change the modules they teach us, believe me I have tried and begged not to do S2 and D2, but they wouldnt budge. Thanks
Ive finished AS btw so ice done the core 1 and 2 and decision 1 and 2 and stats 1 already.
Reply 1
Certainly do that in the summer.
Original post by BigChicken
Hello, I'm planning to study physics at uni and I currently/ going to do the following maths modules:
I've heard that for physics degrees most of the maths is the further pure stuff and mechanics, so I was wandering whether it's worth me self studying FP3 and M3? How much of an advantage will this give me in getting a university place at a good physics uni? And I can't ask my teacher to change the modules they teach us, believe me I have tried and begged not to do S2 and D2, but they wouldnt budge. Thanks
Ive finished AS btw so ice done the core 1 and 2 and decision 1 and 2 and stats 1 already.

Ideal modules for a Physics degree. (I'm applying for Theoretical Physics because labs can go ,l, themselves :laugh:)

A level Maths: C1-C4, S1-S2.
A level F.Maths: FP1-3, M1-3.

The reason why I'd say S2 is because I've seen in some maths modules in the later on years on similar university course contents for Physics that they make you use Binomial + Poisson distribution & a few other topics in stats.

The only additional thing I'd recommend is if over the summer you could learn Python + Latex that way you'd be way ahead of everyone in your course.

Personally, I've only done A level Maths: C1-4, S1, M1 (+S2 as a backup modules) However I'm self-teaching FP1-3 & M2 while also enjoying my summer.

Most of the 1st year at uni studying Physics from what I've overlooked in the specific maths modules where FP1-2 in the 1st semester (Sep-Dec) and from the 2nd semester FP3 (Jan-April) with more emphasis on mechanics in the 2nd semester.

Hope I helped! :smile:
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by BigChicken

I don't think it's going to give you any significant advantage when applying. I'd imagine that some of the matrix and vector stuff in FP3 would be important fairly early on in your physics course but they'd teach that all to you anyway, it's not taught in any significant depth at all in FP3.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending