Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free to post

I think I chose the wrong degree

Announcements Posted on
TSR's new app is coming! Sign up here to try it first >> 17-10-2016

I'm not sure where to post this as I'm new here, please forgive me.

I have been studying Interactive Media Development since last year and am about to finish the first year of my foundation degree. I failed two assignments and am now resitting them to hopefully move onto my second year. Though while redoing my assignments I lost all motivation in doing them. I don't feel like I can do well enough to pass them. One of my assignments is to create a website and while trying to get a better grasp of HMTL, CSS and JavaScript I started to wonder that maybe this course just isn't for me.

So I thought about just dropping out and reapplying for a different course for next year. However, I'm concerned about the consequences of me dropping out. Would dropping out affect my chances to start a different course at another university? I have already applied for Student Loans this year and the application has been accepted. If I drop out then what happens with the student loans? Would I be able to cancel them since I am unable to continue onto year two?

I'm still unsure what to do. Even now I still don't know what I want to do with my life. Like what job I would like to do for my future. The only reason I ended up doing what I am now, was that I considered myself to be good with computers and that was it. I also wanted a degree so that I could work abroad. I had no other interests besides that. Which is why am I having doubt about it. Should I try to cling on to my IMD course even though it feels like I have no chance of passing, or should I quit and start over again with a different course?
Write a reply…

Submit reply

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: July 8, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Do you like sleeping in a cold room?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.