The Student Room Group

Picked wrong subject at University, is my life over?

I chose to study Mathematics at university because I heard it’s one of the hardest courses and arguably the hardest academic field in general. I chose to study it because I wanted to say that “I studied the hardest subject at university”, yes now in hindsight I realise what an idiotic decision that was. I do not have the passion for mathematics especially compared to my peers on this course who literally came out the womb writing formal proofs and integrating polynomials. They can easily put in 2 or 3 hours a night studying maths while I will struggle to even do 1 hour without falling asleep or doing something else. I know I’m only in 1st year but have I completely screwed my life up? What should I do next? Thank you.
Well that was an interesting decision. Do you have a degree you'd rather be doing? Would it be worth dropping out and starting something else next year?
If you don't enjoy the work you aren't going to be able to put in the work to do well in it, and at that point the virtue of having done 'the hardest degree' (a debatable claim, I'd probably say there are other courses out there that are more work) is kind of moot.
If you have any kind of academic advisor at your uni I'd say talking to them about this would be a good idea
Reply 2
Original post by Bo77 Tman
I chose to study Mathematics at university because I heard it’s one of the hardest courses and arguably the hardest academic field in general. I chose to study it because I wanted to say that “I studied the hardest subject at university”, yes now in hindsight I realise what an idiotic decision that was. I do not have the passion for mathematics especially compared to my peers on this course who literally came out the womb writing formal proofs and integrating polynomials. They can easily put in 2 or 3 hours a night studying maths while I will struggle to even do 1 hour without falling asleep or doing something else. I know I’m only in 1st year but have I completely screwed my life up? What should I do next? Thank you.

So first and foremost - no, you haven't screwed your life up and well done for reflecting on where you went wrong.

I reckon you have lots of options. Here are some:
1. You accept your mistake, suck the mop and knuckle down. Effort and hard work really do make success and the reason your peers are successful and good at maths is because they put in the 2 - 3 hours a night at it.
2. You go to your course tutor and ask if there are any opportunities to change or move sideways
3. You quit, get a job, take some time out, go travelling, ya-di-ya-di-yaaa, realise your true passion in life and pursue that.
4. Any other options you can think of.

Life is full of mistakes and poor decisions. None end your life. They simply give you a different set of options, just not necessarily the ones you thought you might end up with. But you always have options.

Lastly, as you have discovered, leave your ego at the door. No one cares if you did the hardest subject. They only care what you can do and what skills you have.

Good luck!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending