The Student Room Group

Biology to English Literature degree swap?

I’m currently 1st year Biology undergrad, though i somehow knew it would be a wrong decision, and I do better in the humanities, I chose to study Biology.
I’ve been told I can change into semester 2 to English Literature. I am feeling the pain of Biology and knowing that it’s probably not the path I want to take. My A levels are English, Fine Art and Biology. Yes I feel like an idiot. Does anyone have experience of changing? Are humanities degrees useful? I can’t really restart next year as I’ve already taken a gap year
Original post by unsweetenedblue
I’m currently 1st year Biology undergrad, though i somehow knew it would be a wrong decision, and I do better in the humanities, I chose to study Biology.
I’ve been told I can change into semester 2 to English Literature. I am feeling the pain of Biology and knowing that it’s probably not the path I want to take. My A levels are English, Fine Art and Biology. Yes I feel like an idiot. Does anyone have experience of changing? Are humanities degrees useful? I can’t really restart next year as I’ve already taken a gap year

Hi there!

I'm sorry to hear that you have not been enjoying your Biology degree. Some things do not go the way we plan and that is OK; we just need to learn to accept it.

I have not had experiencing in changing courses, but I have recently completed my English Literature degree and I do believe humanities are useful. Every degree has transferable skills and English Lit sets you up to be able to analyze, find different perspectives, research and many more. It is not just about reading books and writing essays. Some university modules look at the history of books and how they are made, the early modern English language and other great topics!

If you believe that you will get the most out of your degree by changing to a humanities based subject, then it might be worth looking into. Not only will your grades improve, but your attitude towards learning will improve also and that is a good thing! Try and speak to a careers advisor either before or after you change courses (if you decide to do so!) and talk through your future prospects. Additionally, try and speak to your Biology academics and any humanities academics to ensure this is the right step for you.

I hope this helps you in some way! :smile:

Estelle
Graduate Advocate
Original post by unsweetenedblue

@unsweetenedblue

It's good that you have reflected and that you have the option to switch.

If you know that biology is not the path that you want to take, don't put yourself through three years of a degree, only to regret not switching when you could! I know that when it comes to career options, a science degree looks good but if you don't get a good result and you don't enjoy the subject, it might not be so useful for the future.

You don't want to struggle through a biology degree and because you have struggled through it, feel that you have to go and get a job in this area, even it's not your interest. If you decide after three years that you have had enough of biology, and want to do something different, you might wish that you had chosen to do something different earlier!

If you can do English Literature and excel in it, even if the career path might look different, you will place yourself in a good position by having a good degree result in something you have an interest in. If you can talk to English Lit students or can find out what people tend to go on to do, it might broaden your ideas of what you might like to do with an English Lit degree. Again, you might do an English Lit degree, and then decide to do something different afterwards, but if you have enjoyed the course and got a good result, it may be less likely that you will have regrets.

It's a big decision, so do talk to friends and family who know you well and to your careers' service.

Weigh up the information and see what you think, but do make a decision and run with it (whether that's biology or English Lit).

All the best,

Oluwatosin 3rd year student University of Huddersfield

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending