The Student Room Group

Can you use permanent hair dye after colour B4?

Ive been dying my hair brunette for the past 2 years (i am naturally very very fair) but have now decided to try to dye it a light\medium blonde.
I havent dyed my hair brunette for around 4 months so it washed out a lot and my roots grew through and i was a light brown colour with blonde roots.. until yesturday!
I used colour B4 frequent use to strip the build up of colour. It did go lighter, but only to a dark blonde with brassy tones. I washed it through with purple shampoo which did minimize the brassy colours. However, its still a dark blondeish colour and i want to get it lighter.
Colour B4 says not to use permanent dye until a week after, only a semi-permanent, because it can turn your hair very dark/black. However, if i was to use a permanent dye (the day after using colour b4) in a very light shade.. Possibly this one..

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=clairol+age+defy+light+ash+blonde&client=tablet-android-asus-rev&prmd=sivn&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwivsM3a4_DNAhVImBoKHZ0xCKEQ_AUICCgC&biw=601&bih=962#imgrc=ZGEkcoUNEAbUGM%3A

What would be the result? Im sure it couldnnt turn my hair dark again could it?
Has anyone used colour B4 and then dyed their hair with a permanent dye straight away?
Original post by Kayleygrace
Ive been dying my hair brunette for the past 2 years (i am naturally very very fair) but have now decided to try to dye it a light\medium blonde.
I havent dyed my hair brunette for around 4 months so it washed out a lot and my roots grew through and i was a light brown colour with blonde roots.. until yesturday!
I used colour B4 frequent use to strip the build up of colour. It did go lighter, but only to a dark blonde with brassy tones. I washed it through with purple shampoo which did minimize the brassy colours. However, its still a dark blondeish colour and i want to get it lighter.
Colour B4 says not to use permanent dye until a week after, only a semi-permanent, because it can turn your hair very dark/black. However, if i was to use a permanent dye (the day after using colour b4) in a very light shade.. Possibly this one..

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=clairol+age+defy+light+ash+blonde&client=tablet-android-asus-rev&prmd=sivn&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwivsM3a4_DNAhVImBoKHZ0xCKEQ_AUICCgC&biw=601&bih=962#imgrc=ZGEkcoUNEAbUGM%3A

What would be the result? Im sure it couldnnt turn my hair dark again could it?
Has anyone used colour B4 and then dyed their hair with a permanent dye straight away?

I ve bleached after colourb4 and it worked without problems but I ve read that dying afterwards can make it darker than you wanted.
Reply 2
Hi what was the conclusion of this. Im sort of in the same boat and want to use colour b4 and dye blond straight after? Did you do that in the end?
I did colour with permanent dye after using color b4 and my hair is very dark now. I'll have to start all over again.
Yes I have just used colour b4 followed by a dark blonde permanent hair colour, and it has gone really really dark brown. I just go with the flow with hair dyes, so I'm not too upset. It will fade eventually. I'm 57 and have been dying my hair since I was about 13, every colour imaginable! So I've made most mistakes over the years and I put it down to experience. Previously though, I've used colour b4 and then a strong bleach and it's been fine. Hope this helps x
Reply 5
You should wait about 1month or afew weeks if you wash your hair often. The colour reoxidises so it will go darker no matter what shade you put on after. It's best not to dye after using a colour remover. Instead use a tint that contains no peroxide or ammonia.

Quick Reply

Latest