The Student Room Group

Japanese Society

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1180
Original post by Hooj
Konnichiha, watashi no namae ha Jiemusu ga, watashi hasubetenomono 90 nendai ikou no nippon nisareteiru. Anatahaosoraku souzou dekiruyouni, sorehasubeteno Anime ya Manga ni yurai sh!teita. Watashi no suki na Shounenmanga wosareterurouni tsurugi kokoroha, Burichi ni chikai byou de itsutte kuru. Naruto hamo yoi desu. Watashi ha watashi tosh!te mite shigoto umakuikeba, ikutsukano ten de nippon ni iku keikaku wo okonau ga, ajia ni hitoshii darouni ijou no gemudezaina no shigoto no keiken wosh!teimasu.

Watashi ha SEGA, Konami, London no chikaku ni kyojuu sh!teirugaiidesusono honbu ha, subara shiinodesuga houmon suruyo!

The goggles, they do nothing
Omg is the japanese text back?!

???????
Reply 1182
So, I've just finished a quick exam on Moodle, that uni internet thing. The lecturer then sent us a mail saying the results were online and said "Go kurô sama desh!ta". Anyone knows what it means? Since he didn't use kanji I'm having troubles finding out the correct meanings for each word :s-smilie:
I understand desh!ta is desu at the perfect tense but can't make sense of the rest.
Cheers

edited so TSR doesn't censure desh!ta :sigh:
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by Xurvi
So, I've just finished a quick exam on Moodle, that uni internet thing. The lecturer then sent us a mail saying the results were online and said "Go kurô sama desh!ta". Anyone knows what it means? Since he didn't use kanji I'm having troubles finding out the correct meanings for each word :s-smilie:
I understand desh!ta is desu at the perfect tense but can't make sense of the rest.
Cheers

edited so TSR doesn't censure desh!ta :sigh:

Heh, no worries! Go-kurousama is one word.

It means, "Thank you for your hard work/efforts", "Good job!"/"That was a good job you did there!".
Reply 1185
Ah I see, thanks!
Reply 1186
Original post by Jazmine
Yeah, didn't want to make it too easy that I'd get bored. I worried I might feel that way about the class, but not really. It's allowing me to think more about how to say basic things in a structure that I hadn't had before, if that makes sense. And true! I find it hard to make time for Japanese, so I didn't feel I'd want to catch up too much, ha ha

That makes sense. I just went over some chapters from Minna no Nihongo, I can't believe I forgot basic stuff like 'rondon e kaimono ni ikimasu' Smart decision really, I'm definitely gonna go back to the basics myself. =]

Nick it, indeed! Tell me how it goes. I really advise penpals too. I am super-excited 'cause I have two potential snail mail buddies! One I reckon will definitely write back. I hope I will be able to read their [handwritten!] Japanese well. It'll give me practice, to say the least. It'll get me handwriting too. I know it's going to take me HOURS though when I think of all the kanji I will write that I don't know how to handwrite yet.. but I won't have to do it everyday, so it's okay.

Deffo! I’ve been busy with uni work recently, but definitely gonna try and find somewhere and sometime to do it. Do you use japan-guide for it? Handwritten Japanese gives me nightmares! :lol: Not really, but it's really difficult to make out some characters sometimes. My teacher said that handwriting isn’t really important, but I beg to differ really. It seems more important that languages with Latin alphabets. >:-(

Ha ha, I always think people who learn Chinese are hardcore. It's not even because of the logographs, it's because of the tonality! Perhaps some dialects are more tonal than others, I dunno. But I have such a lack of discipline in that way, I am trying to stop stressing in the wrong places in Japanese already. 'Tis hard enough! I don't think I could string even a short sentence in Chinese to make sense. I can't speak Russian either. My uncle was trying to get me to say Hello, I think it was. Could not, for the life of me, work out how to produce the sounds he was making.

Hahahahaha, no matter how many times people say 'Ma' in the different tonal accents, I can only ever distinguish between 2 of them. Yeah, I get what you mean. Like the word 'tamago', only when I heard it did I notice the accent goes up after the ma and down again at go. This is when ditching the books and watching/listening is much better! 8D Minna no Nihongo CD's are also really damn good for listening exercises although slightly fast..O.x

Ha ha, I will show you. I typed the first page out. Here it is. I have a Japanese newspaper actually, perhaps I should take a look at it. I have an old copy of hiragana times as well. I don't know that it helped me, I think it would if I read it everyday for a long time. I'd definitely just KNOW what it said from reading it so much and such.

Wow, you actually typed that and found all the kanji for that! It's a pretty cool (and funny LOL at some of the things the boyfriend's have done) read! I probably understood like 20% if that without good ol' trusty Denshi Jisho, still got a long way to go!

or me, definitely. I think speaking to Japanese people online and watching Japanese TV has essentially been my entire way of learning. Variety shows in particular are very easy-going for me to understand and the Japanese subtitles they often put down helps a lot. I don't watch stuff with English subtitles. I sometimes go to look for a subtitled version though, just so I can verify I understood. I am a personal who can watch shows over and over again (seriously), so that's what I do and I find that I learn more. I spot the things I missed until everything becomes clear.

Speaking is definitely the most important thing. I've been kinda stupid though, what with burying my head in books and reading, I forgot how important speaking Japanese is. :rolleyes: I've a few people mention speaking online and says it works really well for them! How are you doing it? I gotta try it out plus I really gotta get out there and find some people to speak to..???

Yup, definitely agree with you (as usual :p: ) English Subtitles are starting to be a bit detrimental to me when it comes to Japanese because I rely on it too much and don't really think about what they say during the shows/anime (again, only realised this hahahaha). I try to watch the raw version then a subtitled version, but I don't have the patience for that (I'm envious of you there :p: ) Variety shows though...lol, I can't stand watching it for more than 5 mins. When I was in Japan, it would ALWAYS be on and it would always be the same sort of thing. My friend got really hooked on it though. :rolleyes: Definitely not for me!

Original post by Remarqable M
Japanese is easier to learn than Chinese and Korean put together! anyone beg to differ?

This is kind of a complicated topic. There are some points of each language that make it frustratingly hard to learn, but I haven't tried to learn Korean or Chinese, so my opinion is just based on what I've heard. =/

Is this your blog? Some really good posts here. I think everyone should read the African Way of Learning, it definitely motivated me some more with my Japanese. :biggrin:

????????????

Original post by Azimuth
The goggles, they do nothing

Original post by screenager2004
Omg is the japanese text back?!

???????

I R SAD. =[ Seems to of got worse since screenager's signature used to show the characters...
Original post by fait

I R SAD. =[ Seems to of got worse since screenager's signature used to show the characters...

That could be a good sign though: shows that they're tinkering with non-english scripts!
Trying to read "Ima, ai ni yukimasu" and a bit stuck on this sentence.... he's describing his young son...

ato nannen ka sureba futoku, kurukuru ni kumatta kusekke ni kawatte iku hazu da.
- Even if, after some years it is a little thick, I'm sure his frizzy hair is becoming curlier ?!

Oh dear I'm a little confused with this one! Makes no sense to me!!!!
Trying to read "Ima, ai ni yukimasu" and a bit stuck on this sentence.... he's describing his young son...

ato nannen ka sureba futoku, kurukuru ni kumatta kusekke ni kawatte iku hazu da.
- Even if, after some years it is a little thick, I'm sure his frizzy hair is becoming curlier ?!

Oh dear I'm a little confused with this one! Makes no sense to me!!!!

"I'm coming to meet/see you now".
-- I don't know how that is a description of a person, sorry! =P

"After many years pass, his thick tight curly hair will surely change".

If you want me to explain how I came to those conclusions, then please ask! Ha ha, but I could be wrong. =\
Original post by Jazmine

hehe nah that's the title of the book :P Thanks though!

If you want me to explain how I came to those conclusions, then please ask! Ha ha, but I could be wrong. =\

I think I'm getting the general gist of the sentences..... it's just very imprecise translating on my part!!! I'll get better with practice... It reads like a child explaining the synopsis of a book at the moment.
hehe nah that's the title of the book :P Thanks though!

=O! Ha ha!! I'm so sorry, I'm going to take the opportunity to blame my overwealming tiredness for that mistake. My throat is so damn sore, but I frequently keep taking massive yawns. It kills! Gonna get myself some porridge and head to bed. =P

I think I'm getting the general gist of the sentences..... it's just very imprecise translating on my part!!! I'll get better with practice... It reads like a child explaining the synopsis of a book at the moment.

I definitely think so. Particularly as you get used to sentence structure/grammar a lot more. Noticing patterns that you keep bumping into, so much so that it becomes easy to recognise what they are. =) I enjoy translation! I can't claim to be good at it though, but I do think I get better with practice. I find myself being able to read some things naturally, which I wasn't able to do before. It's not a lot though and it can't be with anything complex. =P For that I need Rikai-chan or a dictionary, sad to say.

What is the book about? It sounds pretty difficult to read.
I live in Tokyo
Reply 1193
?y?????
Original post by Jazmine

"Kurukuru ni kumatta kesekke" "ni" kawatte iku hazu da

I think it should be another way round,

"his hair will surely change to (ry"
Original post by asabashoyuki
"Kurukuru ni kumatta kesekke" "ni" kawatte iku hazu da

I think it should be another way round,

"his hair will surely change to (ry"

Truesay! Cheers for the correction, x.
Hello to everyone ^-^/ ~ I have learnt hiragana using flash cards, and constant repetition, even though my writing is still a bit rusty, and am about to start katakana using flash cards aswell, so that I have the 2 languages all in my head ready to start university next year :3 any other effective methods people use to learn the 2 alphabets ?

~
Original post by muddy-mudkip
Hello to everyone ^-^/ ~ I have learnt hiragana using flash cards, and constant repetition, even though my writing is still a bit rusty, and am about to start katakana using flash cards aswell, so that I have the 2 languages all in my head ready to start university next year :3 any other effective methods people use to learn the 2 alphabets ?

~

Hmm, I'm not sure about methods. I learnt kana within a day, with repetition - I suppose. But I really say I fully learnt kana after a while, by paying attention to the Japanese I was coming across. Even if I couldn't read the kanji, I'd read the hiragana inbetween, etc. I browse through a lot of Japanese websites in general, even before I started to self-study Japanese. If you keep that up, then hopefully your memory will be fresh. And maybe start to write everything in kana instead of romaji, if you write anything in Japanese.

Sorry I am not of much help!

I'm a person who learns via experience best, I think. I'm practical, so it has to be practical (can't just start writing kanji for the sake of it!). I learnt most of how to communicate and read in Japanese by speaking to people on blog sites and e-mail, etc. If you actively read everything outloud, new words, etc, maybe even read them a few times, you start to drill it into your head a bit more, I think. If any of that makes sense.
Original post by Jazmine
I definitely think so. Particularly as you get used to sentence structure/grammar a lot more. Noticing patterns that you keep bumping into, so much so that it becomes easy to recognise what they are. =) I enjoy translation! I can't claim to be good at it though, but I do think I get better with practice. I find myself being able to read some things naturally, which I wasn't able to do before. It's not a lot though and it can't be with anything complex. =P For that I need Rikai-chan or a dictionary, sad to say.

What is the book about? It sounds pretty difficult to read.

Well so far, it's about a widower and his son. It's been pretty easy to read, the writing is quite dream-like and in simple, short sentences - I think because the main Character is grieving.. in a state of shock, possibly.

Then suddenly they throw in a bizzaro sentence like that just to confuse me!
Reply 1199
Hi all, been learning Japanese the past 4 or 5 months and pretty much understand most of the structure of the language now, having gone through the Michel Thomas Method Japanese course.

That course teaches the formal version of Japanese, with all verbs ending in mas. So I guess my next step is to learn the informal speaking. Is it a hard step to take?

I can read most Katakana now, and some Kanji....will get onto the Hiragana soon.

For anyone who wants to learn the Kana writing, here is a good online tester you can use to test your ability....I learned Katakana in a couple of days using this....

http://www.realkana.com

I also recommend www.japanesepod101.com, one of THE best online sources for learning Japanese properly!

Now don't forget to say 'itadakimasu' before you eat your food!

Quick Reply

Latest