The Student Room Group

The Current Year 13 Thread 2016-2017

The Official Year 13 Thread - Class of 2017
We've made it to the final year! Congrats on surviving!
So Y13 is going to be pretty hectic and there's lots of misinformation circulating around particular issues that arise during this time. This thread is the best place to source out the answers to your questions. It's also a great place to talk to other people in your year about uni, A-levels and life in general!

Choosing a uni:

Spoiler

[url="http://university.which.co.uk/search/course?c[q"]Which? University Oxbridge/Russell Group help:

Spoiler

Medicine/Law/Mathematics entrance/additional exam help:

Spoiler

Applying to uni:

Spoiler

Not going to uni:

Spoiler

UCAS dates:

Spoiler

UCAS jargon help:

Spoiler

(edited 7 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

First
Reply 2
Aren't we technically in year 13, seeing as last year has already finished?

ANYWAY...

Have people visited the uni's they would like to go to yet?
How are your personal statements getting along?
What subjects are you currently studying and, what do you hope to study at uni (give the 5 uni's you want to go to)
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by Dnkz7

ANYWAY...

What subjects are you currently studying and, what do you hope to study at uni (give the 5 uni's you want to go to)

- I've visited 3 out of the 5 unis that I'd like to go to. I've seen the university of Southampton, university of Surrey and UWE. I've got Oxford Brookes and Cardiff university to see in October

- I've written a first draft of my personal statement, wanting to be organised😂

- I'm currently studying biology, psychology and sociology (dropped RS after the exam). I'm hoping to study Child Nursing at uni!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Wagwan mah Gssssss Here's to smashing another year

Spoiler

Original post by Dnkz7

ANYWAY...

1 & 2) I haven't started :lol:
3) FM, Economics and Physics and hopefully Maths :biggrin:

Spoiler

Original post by Dnkz7

ANYWAY...

I have visited 2 universities so far and have 2 open days in September to go to.
I have finished my first draft of my personal statement- It's going well so far.
I'm studying psychology, biology, sociology and maths and want to study psychology at cambridge, bath, birmingham, southampton or bristol. :smile:
I went to both the Loughborough and Birmingham open days with my heart set on Birmingham, but afterwards came out of it thinking the entire opposite.

I'm not sure about what unis I want to go to, so many options :s-smilie: I want to study Politics, so atm I'm thinking LSE (doubtful but w/e), Warwick, Durham, Bristol, Bath, Loughborough, Nottingham. Idk basically...

Omg personal statement is the bane of my life, I swear I'm finding it more stressful than AS exams and they were awful... :redface:
Ahh, year 13 sounds so big and scary.

I've visited Cambridge and Edinburgh, but hoping to visit York/UCL in early September.
I haven't started my PS yet and it's scaring me! I have no idea how to even begin it...
I'm doing English Lit, Lang and History, and I dropped Class Civ after AS. I'm hoping for Cambridge or Edinburgh to study Linguistics, but UCL, York, Newcastle, Manchester and Sheffield look good...
Reply 9
Hi! I've just finished year 13 so if anyone has any questions about what it's like etc. then please feel free to ask :smile:
Original post by Dnkz7

ANYWAY...

True.

1. No, but I've booked open days for September/October time
2. Okay, I've done my first draft and need to tweak it in time for Enrolment.
3. I'm currently doing English Lit, Psychology, History and French. I want to study either English Literature and then convert to Law, or just do Law straightaway. I haven't made a definitive decision on my Top 5 yet though.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Dnkz7

ANYWAY...

I've visited Birmingham so far as its the university I'm set on going to.
I've wrote a draft for my personal statement that I sent to my form tutor to check over so I can get some feedback 😊
I'm currently studying Psychology, Geography and Maths (dropped Biology after AS). I want to study Psychology at Birmingham but other unis that I'm looking at are Warwick, Nottingham and Southampton.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by PhyM23
Hi! I've just finished year 13 so if anyone has any questions about what it's like etc. then please feel free to ask :smile:

When did you start revising? Or did you recap knowledge throughout the year? Was just wondering as this year I was so unorganised and left everything until the last minute, will probably pay for it :redface:
Original post by jamestg
I'll sort out a nice OP when I go on my laptop.

Thought it would be a good idea to do it now seeing as we've started A2 and will be doing various Y13 stuff over the summer!

I'll change the thread to "The Current Year 13..." after results day :biggrin:

In the meantime - good luck with results day!

I've just finished yr 13.

You poor souls don't know what's about to hit you.

May the odds be ever in your favour.
Original post by Babs Posh
When did you start revising? Or did you recap knowledge throughout the year? Was just wondering as this year I was so unorganised and left everything until the last minute, will probably pay for it :redface:

I've just finished yr13 too. I started revising on the first day of term by reading over class notes every night after school and at every weekend. Good luck!
Reply 15
Original post by Platopus
I've just finished yr 13.

You poor souls don't know what's about to hit you.

May the odds be ever in your favour.

Don't say that!!!
Best of luck everyone! This was me last year :tongue:
Original post by jamestg
Don't say that!!!

You deserve to know, I'm sorry!
I just came across this thread and I'm feeling old :o:o:redface:

Posted from TSR Mobile
i'm! not! ready! for! this!

Spoiler

(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply