The Student Room Group

The Current Year 13 Thread 2016-2017

Scroll to see replies

Today was a month until my first exam!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Since I dont know where is the help forum for physics, im just gonna post my questions here and hope someone could answer.
For question 9, I wondering why option D is wrong .

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 982
are exams not feeling real for anyone else? i've been trying to revise all through the easter holidays but everything seems kind of a blur ahaha. i'm just worried that i won't be taking them seriously enough by the time june comes around and won't be able to even get into my insurance offer... my two choices are asking for pretty high grades. :frown:
Original post by bellri
are exams not feeling real for anyone else? i've been trying to revise all through the easter holidays but everything seems kind of a blur ahaha. i'm just worried that i won't be taking them seriously enough by the time june comes around and won't be able to even get into my insurance offer... my two choices are asking for pretty high grades. :frown:

Lol same, they dont feel like exams. I am not ready and all I keep doing is procrastinating like today I spent 2 hours watching Netflix. My firm is AAA but I don't feel confident especially how in recent mocks I got BCD :frown: my insurance is BBC and it's a lovely uni but tsr thinks it's not worthy >.>
Reply 984
Original post by physicsamor
Lol same, they dont feel like exams. I am not ready and all I keep doing is procrastinating like today I spent 2 hours watching Netflix. My firm is AAA but I don't feel confident especially how in recent mocks I got BCD :frown: my insurance is BBC and it's a lovely uni but tsr thinks it's not worthy >.>

i'm kind of not really expecting my 1st choice offer since it's changed to A*A*A, and i applied expecting to only need one A* and two A's :s-smilie: and actually i'd prefer my insurance offer but it's AAB and i'm really worried since i got ABD in my mocks and a lot of that was by pure luck... now i'm regretting not putting my insurance as my 1st choice and a lower option for my insurance :frown:

i'm trying to make myself feel better by saying that i can always go into clearance but it would make me feel really bad i think >.> let's just try and motivate ourselves to do our best ahaha (kind of difficult considering i spent most of my time on twitter today instead of studying at my desk oops)
Original post by bellri
i'm kind of not really expecting my 1st choice offer since it's changed to A*A*A, and i applied expecting to only need one A* and two A's :s-smilie: and actually i'd prefer my insurance offer but it's AAB and i'm really worried since i got ABD in my mocks and a lot of that was by pure luck... now i'm regretting not putting my insurance as my 1st choice and a lower option for my insurance :frown:

i'm trying to make myself feel better by saying that i can always go into clearance but it would make me feel really bad i think >.> let's just try and motivate ourselves to do our best ahaha (kind of difficult considering i spent most of my time on twitter today instead of studying at my desk oops)

Hey (I was on Twitter all day as well) there's no point in demotivating ourselves though. It's not too late to get high grades and we will get them and go to the uni we want to!! We have the time we can do this!!
Original post by Willandy123
Since I dont know where is the help forum for physics, im just gonna post my questions here and hope someone could answer.
For question 9, I wondering why option D is wrong .

Posted from TSR Mobile

E=mc^2 basically says that mass and energy are interchangeable. When two protons collide, there's two possible outcomes: either more particles are produced or some of their energy will be released as photons, In the case of more particles, it's obvious none of their mass has been changed to energy and in the case of some photons being released, it may be because not all of their mass is converted into photon energy. The protons themselves will still be around. Therefore it must be C because the electron and positron annihilate each other, completely converting all their mass into energy.
Original post by CatusStarbright
Same! Our texts are Tess of the d'Urbervilles, Othello and Death of a Salesman for tragedy and The Kite Runner, The Handmaid's Tale and Blake's Songs of Innocence and of Experience for protest.

We're doing pretty much the same books except instead of Tess of the d'Urbervilles, I'm doing Keats poetry. How're you finding the texts? I love The Kite Runner and Othello but I'm not too keen on the others. The Handmaid's Tale is great in theory but I'm not a fan of Atwood's writing.
Original post by wannabe_lawyer
E=mc^2 basically says that mass and energy are interchangeable. When two protons collide, there's two possible outcomes: either more particles are produced or some of their energy will be released as photons, In the case of more particles, it's obvious none of their mass has been changed to energy and in the case of some photons being released, it may be because not all of their mass is converted into photon energy. The protons themselves will still be around. Therefore it must be C because the electron and positron annihilate each other, completely converting all their mass into energy.

Thanks alot that really helped ☺☺
We're doing pretty much the same books except instead of Tess of the d'Urbervilles, I'm doing Keats poetry. How're you finding the texts? I love The Kite Runner and Othello but I'm not too keen on the others. The Handmaid's Tale is great in theory but I'm not a fan of Atwood's writing.

The Kite Runner's great and I also love The Handmaid's Tale. I find Atwood's writing style a little weird, but I think that's what makes the book stand out. I like her clever wordplays, such as with the homograph of invalid (when Offred's saying she's stuck in her room like an ill person but that at the same time she isn't valid). Othello's okay; I just hate that it constitutes two-thirds of the tragedy exam :s-smilie:
The Kite Runner's great and I also love The Handmaid's Tale. I find Atwood's writing style a little weird, but I think that's what makes the book stand out. I like her clever wordplays, such as with the homograph of invalid (when Offred's saying she's stuck in her room like an ill person but that at the same time she isn't valid). Othello's okay; I just hate that it constitutes two-thirds of the tragedy exam :s-smilie:

I feel like Atwood overdoes it a bit with the techniques but I suppose that's personal preference. I get what you mean about Othello, it's annoying that Death of a Salesman and your other tragedy text is only worth half an essay! So much to read and learn for only 12-13 marks. Anyways, how're you feeling about the exams? Any predictions?
I feel like Atwood overdoes it a bit with the techniques but I suppose that's personal preference. I get what you mean about Othello, it's annoying that Death of a Salesman and your other tragedy text is only worth half an essay! So much to read and learn for only 12-13 marks. Anyways, how're you feeling about the exams? Any predictions?

Overall I feel okay-ish, but I'm absolutely dreading the Othello essay section; it means I actually have to learn quotes and stuff haha. Predictions-wise, no idea as we've only got the specimen to go from.
I am so stressed, I can't find the AQA A Level Bio Set 2 Specimens anywhere?? Please can someone help!
Im so scared for biology idek what the required practicals even are plus there's too much content
Original post by theD0N
Im so scared for biology idek what the required practicals even are plus there's too much content

Does it not tell you on the specification what the required practicals are?
Overall I feel okay-ish, but I'm absolutely dreading the Othello essay section; it means I actually have to learn quotes and stuff haha. Predictions-wise, no idea as we've only got the specimen to go from.

I'm dreading the paper 2 combined essay more than Othello. I'm fine with the actual content but I can't write very fast so I average 2 sides for each essay, don't really know how to improve that.
I'm dreading the paper 2 combined essay more than Othello. I'm fine with the actual content but I can't write very fast so I average 2 sides for each essay, don't really know how to improve that.

Yeah, paper 2 is messed up haha. Maybe it's just thinking more quickly about what you want to write and then actually writing it down as fast as possible?
I dunno if what works for me will work for you but I try to plan my work on the question paper before answering the question on the answer booklet and it seems to help a lot with time management and good presentation
Yeah, paper 2 is messed up haha. Maybe it's just thinking more quickly about what you want to write and then actually writing it down as fast as possible?

Original post by Ewurabena Twum
I dunno if what works for me will work for you but I try to plan my work on the question paper before answering the question on the answer booklet and it seems to help a lot with time management and good presentation

I tend do to do only a 5 minute plan cause I don't want to waste too much time on it but I'll try to plan for longer and see how it goes. Thanks guys :smile:
It doesn't necessarily have to be a very long plan. It must be presice but understandable

Quick Reply

Latest