The Student Room Group

Preparing for a Mathematics degree

So I am preparing to start a maths degree this year. I was wondering if anyone knew of any books that I should use to prepare myself for the first year? I heard University Maths is very different to A level Maths so I would like to bridge the gap. Any suggestions will be highly appreciated. Thank you.
Original post by AK7000
So I am preparing to start a maths degree this year. I was wondering if anyone knew of any books that I should use to prepare myself for the first year? I heard University Maths is very different to A level Maths so I would like to bridge the gap. Any suggestions will be highly appreciated. Thank you.

How to study for a Mathematics degree by Lara Alcock is a good book :smile:
Reply 2
Where? acontium is right, A Concise Introduction to Pure Mathematics is also good as is How to Think Like a Mathematician. None are essential though.

Original post by AK7000
Reply 3
Original post by acontium
How to study for a Mathematics degree by Lara Alcock is a good book :smile:

cheers
Reply 4
Original post by 1 8 13 20 42
Where? acontium is right, A Concise Introduction to Pure Mathematics is also good as is How to Think Like a Mathematician. None are essential though.

At Queen Mary (hopefully) and thank you for the recommendations.
Reply 5
I'd perhaps have a look at "introductory mathematics: algebra and analysis" by Geoff smith. But your uni may recommend different books for their first year modules. I wouldn't buy any expensive ones until you start your course and know if you really need it or not. Some first years spend hundreds and never use them.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
Original post by Tedward
I'd perhaps have a look at "introductory mathematics: algebra and analysis" by Geoff smith. But your uni may recommend different books for their first year modules. I wouldn't buy any expensive ones until you start your course and know if you really need it or not. Some first years spend hundreds and never use them.

Posted from TSR Mobile

thanks

Quick Reply

Latest