The Student Room Group
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London

Should I switch from MA107 to MA108 at LSE?

I have just started a BSc in Politics and Economics at LSE. As part of my course, we study a half-unit in Quantitative Methods in Mathematics. While it is certainly great to have a maths (and statistics after January) half-unit in my first year, perhaps more mathematical content than some pure econ degrees at other unis would get in first year, at least right now it seems like its only advancing on A-Level Maths difficulty.
While I've been told MA107 is sufficient in order to study further economics and even maths modules in third year, I believe I would get better preparation from studying the new MA108 module, which is essentially the MA100 module condensed into a half-unit. As you may have gauged, it is a very intense module, and I am told it is at the opposite end of the scale from MA107 in terms of difficulty, but it would give me a similar level of maths capability as students studying more quantitative degrees such as Finance and pure econ.
I had a look at the first week work for MA108, and it is a far cry from MA107 (which was essentially basic A-Level Maths revision in first week)
I would have to hit the ground running from the start with MA108, and I know it would only get harder, whether as while MA107 seems easy know, by the time we get to Christmas I may have bit off as much as I can chew regarding intensity. For context, I achieved an A* at A-Level Maths, but my school did not offer Further Maths A-Level, so I wouldn't say I would be fully prepared for the content on MA107, but that's not to say I wouldn't have the capability to complete it.

In terms of why I wanted to switch, I would like to take more quantitative modules in third year, and while MA107 would be sufficient, it may not prepare as well for them. As for after graduation, the most mathematical path I am considering is a MSc in Actuarial Science from QUB, I contacted the academic in charge of the programme he said my current degree would probably give me a quantitative enough background. While he wouldn't know the intricate detail regarding the maths in either MA107 and MA108 (or other third year options), he interestingly said it was the A* in A-Level Maths that would make my application competitive. Other than that I would either look to study a MSc in Economics at a decent uni (which I believe the quantitative content of which could be covered by MA107 and third year options) or going straight into graduate roles.

So in terms of weighing up the intensity that picking MA108 would bring in my first few months at LSE (with other units like political theory as well as joining societies) with the possibility that MA108 could either give me a big edge in third year modules or postgraduate or provide no real advantage over MA107, what would you recommend I do?
Hey, did you end up switching? If so, how did it go?

Sorry I can't provide any advice - I'm starting this Sept and am looking at modules.

Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending