The Student Room Group

What content is taught in Pharmacy Foundation Year?

I will be studying MPharm with Foundation Year from next year in Kingston University. I want to start preparing now and want to know if anyone has gone down the same route and what specific topics did they focus on? How can I prepare myself now for it to achieve 70% as required to move into the MPharm course?

Thanks
Original post by Batman00769
I will be studying MPharm with Foundation Year from next year in Kingston University. I want to start preparing now and want to know if anyone has gone down the same route and what specific topics did they focus on? How can I prepare myself now for it to achieve 70% as required to move into the MPharm course?

Thanks

I assume you've read the details on their web site, here.

They list these four modules in the foundation year, and provide a summary of what will be covered in each:

Professional and Scientific Skills for Pharmacy
Biology
Chemistry
Mathematics for Science
Reply 2
Original post by DataVenia
I assume you've read the details on their web site, here.

They list these four modules in the foundation year, and provide a summary of what will be covered in each:

Professional and Scientific Skills for Pharmacy
Biology
Chemistry
Mathematics for Science

Hi,

Yes I read the details on the website but I wanted slightly more in-depth knowledge of it. For example, the biology and chemistry: will it be A Level content or slightly higher? The mathematics: what level of mathematical knowledge will I need? A level? GCSE? What topics of maths will I require? Calculus? Logs?
Original post by Batman00769
Hi,

Yes I read the details on the website but I wanted slightly more in-depth knowledge of it. For example, the biology and chemistry: will it be A Level content or slightly higher? The mathematics: what level of mathematical knowledge will I need? A level? GCSE? What topics of maths will I require? Calculus? Logs?

Hi there. I completed my MPharm degree in 2023. Well yes, of course the level of content is going to be higher than A Level. However, I found still found exams at uni were more manageable than during A Level.

Regarding Maths, I got a grade 5 at GCSE and had no issue passing any of the pharmaceutical calculations or chemistry related modules (which were more Maths intenstive).

Most of the Maths is basically the same: moles/mass/volume/concentration calculations you do in Chemistry. You may have topics about kinetics/half-life etc which was a bit of a pain for me as someone who didn't do Physics or Maths A Level, but I was still able to pass it all fine.

Pharmaceutical calculations is another area of Maths in the degree. Mostly, the Maths itself doesn’tinvolve any sort of high level Maths skills. Go look at some YouTube videos to see what they're all about.
(edited 2 months ago)
Hey @Batman00769,

First off, big congratulations on your offer! It's great to hear that you've chosen to study here at Kingston, and we look forward to having you on campus later this year. 🙂

If you want to start preparing for your course ahead of time (and I applaud your dedication!), I'd recommend reaching out to the course leader or admission tutors listed on the course page: https://www.kingston.ac.uk/undergraduate/courses/pharmacy/
They should be able to give you some more information on what the first few months of the course will cover.

I'd also recommend checking out the Official KU Freshers Facebook Page: https://www.facebook.com/groups/996650558282439?locale=en_GB
Other students are still getting offers, so it should start filling up in the coming months - in the meantime, you can use the Facebook page to make posts and reach out to future coursemates. Might help you get a better idea of how your peers are preparing.

If you have any questions at all, feel free to drop us a reply!

Eve (Kingston Rep).
Original post by Kingston Reps
Hey @Batman00769,
First off, big congratulations on your offer! It's great to hear that you've chosen to study here at Kingston, and we look forward to having you on campus later this year. 🙂
If you want to start preparing for your course ahead of time (and I applaud your dedication!), I'd recommend reaching out to the course leader or admission tutors listed on the course page: https://www.kingston.ac.uk/undergraduate/courses/pharmacy/
They should be able to give you some more information on what the first few months of the course will cover.
I'd also recommend checking out the Official KU Freshers Facebook Page: https://www.facebook.com/groups/996650558282439?locale=en_GB
Other students are still getting offers, so it should start filling up in the coming months - in the meantime, you can use the Facebook page to make posts and reach out to future coursemates. Might help you get a better idea of how your peers are preparing.
If you have any questions at all, feel free to drop us a reply!
Eve (Kingston Rep).
Hi,

Thank you for giving me some advice!

I contacted some of the course leaders and admissions tutors, but unfortunately I received no response.

I do not have Facebook and would prefer to keep it that way. Would you know any other resources I can use to gain this information?

Thanks!
Original post by randomsheep11
Hi there. I completed my MPharm degree in 2023. Well yes, of course the level of content is going to be higher than A Level. However, I found still found exams at uni were more manageable than during A Level.
Regarding Maths, I got a grade 5 at GCSE and had no issue passing any of the pharmaceutical calculations or chemistry related modules (which were more Maths intenstive).
Most of the Maths is basically the same: moles/mass/volume/concentration calculations you do in Chemistry. You may have topics about kinetics/half-life etc which was a bit of a pain for me as someone who didn't do Physics or Maths A Level, but I was still able to pass it all fine.
Pharmaceutical calculations is another area of Maths in the degree. Mostly, the Maths itself doesn’tinvolve any sort of high level Maths skills. Go look at some YouTube videos to see what they're all about.
Congratulations on completing the course!

I actually do not find Maths the hard part in most cases. I am self-studying right now, so it is a bit difficult, but for the most part, I understand it. I just do not how achievable is 70%, which is what daunts me the most.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending