The Student Room Group

Some questions regarding University and UOTC

Hi All :smile:

A long while ago i was in the application process to join the army but I had to back out so since then i just completely forgot about the armed forces and looked at going to uni. I've got a place for a strength, conditioning and rehabilitation degree now and I intend to follow this through and complete the course. I visited a small WW2 museum with my family the other day and it just felt right being there surrounded by it all if that makes sense. Like I belonged there. So my heart is set on becoming a Strength and Conditioning Coach whilst serving as a Reserve Officer, I found out that there is a UOTC that recruits from my university and i'm very, very tempted to join it this September.

How much time does the UOTC take up? Because I want to be able to get the most out of university through extra-curricular activities like sports, societies and going on various trips but also get the most out of the UOTC as well, attending every training night, weekends, AT and other events that are offered whilst aiming for a 2:1 or a first preferably.

Another question is what is the selection process for the UOTC like? I'm assuming its kind of a scaled down version of the AOSB. I don't have a lot of time now to work on my fitness for it, (Around 6/7 weeks) particularly cardio as ive been training for olympic style weightlifting which i will throw away for now. Push-Ups, Sit-Ups and Pull-Ups, e.t.c aren't an issue for me.

Also, the one i'll be joining is the East Midlands UOTC but its in the neighbour city which is about a 30 minute drive away from my uni. The problem being, I can't drive yet so will I have to pay for travel or does it get subsidised? I read on the MOD site just now that they provide transport to and from my uni? Is this still the case as it would help me out significantly.

I apologize that this has turned into quite a large post haha
Original post by SidOvery
Hi All :smile:

A long while ago i was in the application process to join the army but I had to back out so since then i just completely forgot about the armed forces and looked at going to uni. I've got a place for a strength, conditioning and rehabilitation degree now and I intend to follow this through and complete the course. I visited a small WW2 museum with my family the other day and it just felt right being there surrounded by it all if that makes sense. Like I belonged there. So my heart is set on becoming a Strength and Conditioning Coach whilst serving as a Reserve Officer, I found out that there is a UOTC that recruits from my university and i'm very, very tempted to join it this September.

How much time does the UOTC take up? Because I want to be able to get the most out of university through extra-curricular activities like sports, societies and going on various trips but also get the most out of the UOTC as well, attending every training night, weekends, AT and other events that are offered whilst aiming for a 2:1 or a first preferably.

Another question is what is the selection process for the UOTC like? I'm assuming its kind of a scaled down version of the AOSB. I don't have a lot of time now to work on my fitness for it, (Around 6/7 weeks) particularly cardio as ive been training for olympic style weightlifting which i will throw away for now. Push-Ups, Sit-Ups and Pull-Ups, e.t.c aren't an issue for me.

Also, the one i'll be joining is the East Midlands UOTC but its in the neighbour city which is about a 30 minute drive away from my uni. The problem being, I can't drive yet so will I have to pay for travel or does it get subsidised? I read on the MOD site just now that they provide transport to and from my uni? Is this still the case as it would help me out significantly.

I apologize that this has turned into quite a large post haha

UOTC is designed to fit around Uni activities and is sympathetic to them - it's a University based organisation after all. Think of it like a commitment to a Uni level sports team - it should be the largest thing you do outside studying, but it needn't be the only thing.

Can't answer for the selection process.

There will be other students from your Uni attending, so pay your share of fuel and get a lift to parade nights. Whatever arrangements are made, you won't be alone because many universities don't allow students to have cars on campus, so lots will be in the same situation.

Remember , it's the University OTC, it only works with and for students, so it knows they have to study and get degrees and they have no money etc.

Quick Reply

Latest