The Student Room Group
Personally i didn`t get and am not getting a job, especially after my AS results- they weren't too great and that was with out any job distractions... its better to focus on yr AS/A2`s, but then again you may be able to handle it much better than myself aha. it can look good on yr personal statement showing that you can juggle both a job and education. but then again to get a job experience to put on my ps i volunteer in the holidays to make up for it.
:h:
Reply 2
Original post by katy-grace
Personally i didn`t get and am not getting a job, especially after my AS results- they weren't too great and that was with out any job distractions... its better to focus on yr AS/A2`s, but then again you may be able to handle it much better than myself aha. it can look good on yr personal statement showing that you can juggle both a job and education. but then again to get a job experience to put on my ps i volunteer in the holidays to make up for it.
:h:

Which a levels did you take? And what grades didyou achieve? Thanks for the advice
I have a couple of friends which had jobs during sixth form and really it is quite hard to tell. Some of them did quite badly whereas some of them did extremely well. It depends on how much time you are willing to give up. As soon as you start working you will have limited time for your study and your 'social life' therefore if you are fairly motivated you can do it but you have to be aware of spending less time with your friends/on your hobbies since you will loose few hours a week.
Original post by Tkkkkk16
Which a levels did you take? And what grades didyou achieve? Thanks for the advice

sociology
philosophy and ethics
English lit
sport science BTEC
DCD and distinction aha awful
Reply 5
Original post by katy-grace
sociology
philosophy and ethics
English lit
sport science BTEC
DCD and distinction aha awful

Doesnt sound too bad, i've heard worse! Haha
So im about to start sixth form and hope to study a levels; maths, biology and psychology. Would it get too hard for me if i had a weekend job during school? Has anyone worked during a levels? Opinions please!

Whoop! I did the exact same AS as you but also with chemistry! :biggrin:
I didn't have a job in 6th form because I did so much volunteering after school (10 hours a week). Though 10 hours doesn't seem like a lot my parents were worried that if I was doing this volunteering and had a part time job I wouldn't be able to give A levels my all and for me volunteering was more important for my uni application than a job.

Having said that, I did know quite a few people in my 6th form with part time jobs and they were perfectly fine. People did tutoring at kumon, retail jobs, working in restaurants etc
Reply 7
I got a job the summer after year 11 and kept it for the two years I was in sixth form. Quite a few of my friends did too, though many gave them up around yr13 exams. It was fine- you just had to manage your time well. I came out with the grades I wanted and got into uni 😊

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
I worked during October half term and from October to January I tutored a student for his entrance exams in Maths and got £35 an hour. I pretty much barely spent it because I had mocks to focus on, shopping really wasn't on my mind.
I did Biology (B) Chemistry (C) Maths (A) and Spanish (B).
What exam boards are you on?
I'd say apply for jobs like at Wembley stadium, cos the majority of my year worked there as you could pick and choose what shifts to do, or look for tutoring or saturday jobs.
When I tell you AS is no joke, revise from the outset and even when you start the content appears easy, but at January it switches around on you and you (well me) end up with Es and Us :biggrin:.
I'd say work on Weekend jobs and make the most of your time at school during the week, free periods aren't a luxury. I did a lot of volunteering also.
Also when you start getting money, it happens to everyone, you think wow I'm earning, these exams are just mocks let me not revise till the real thing. NO
You can work again during the summer, because you need to make it back in to A2
Doesnt sound too bad, i've heard worse! Haha

aha it is the worst, focus of education not party`s
Reply 10
Original post by Pinkberry_y
Whoop! I did the exact same AS as you but also with chemistry! :biggrin:
I didn't have a job in 6th form because I did so much volunteering after school (10 hours a week). Though 10 hours doesn't seem like a lot my parents were worried that if I was doing this volunteering and had a part time job I wouldn't be able to give A levels my all and for me volunteering was more important for my uni application than a job.

Having said that, I did know quite a few people in my 6th form with part time jobs and they were perfectly fine. People did tutoring at kumon, retail jobs, working in restaurants etc

Ohh great!! Thanks for the advice. Since you did the same a level, what adivice would you give, did you find them hard and which subject was the hardest? Haha soo many questions but im glad i found someone who took the same subjects!
Reply 11
Original post by katieee8
I got a job the summer after year 11 and kept it for the two years I was in sixth form. Quite a few of my friends did too, though many gave them up around yr13 exams. It was fine- you just had to manage your time well. I came out with the grades I wanted and got into uni 😊

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thats great how did you manage your time?
Reply 12
Original post by a_d_e
I worked during October half term and from October to January I tutored a student for his entrance exams in Maths and got £35 an hour. I pretty much barely spent it because I had mocks to focus on, shopping really wasn't on my mind.
I did Biology (B) Chemistry (C) Maths (A) and Spanish (B).
What exam boards are you on?
I'd say apply for jobs like at Wembley stadium, cos the majority of my year worked there as you could pick and choose what shifts to do, or look for tutoring or saturday jobs.
When I tell you AS is no joke, revise from the outset and even when you start the content appears easy, but at January it switches around on you and you (well me) end up with Es and Us :biggrin:.
I'd say work on Weekend jobs and make the most of your time at school during the week, free periods aren't a luxury. I did a lot of volunteering also.
Also when you start getting money, it happens to everyone, you think wow I'm earning, these exams are just mocks let me not revise till the real thing. NO
You can work again during the summer, because you need to make it back in to A2

Thanks alot for the advice and im not sure about the exam boards yet since i havent started yet. How did you revise for maths? Did you use the same technique as your gcses or did you have to put extra effort?
Ohh great!! Thanks for the advice. Since you did the same a level, what adivice would you give, did you find them hard and which subject was the hardest? Haha soo many questions but im glad i found someone who took the same subjects!

Maths I only did up to AS because I found that the hardest. I know everyone says with maths just to past papers again and again. But I just find maths really hard and I remember in every maths class I'd sit there really confused and leave feeling confused so I had to go see teachers most days after school to get them to explain the things to me again so that I could go away and be able to do the practice questions.

Biology- print of specification and use each bullet point as title and write your notes for each point. They can only test you on the specification. Lots of practice papers, learn the markschemes, know your textbook inside out. When you're doing an exam paper, if you're stuck on a question, think back to how it relates to the specification

Psychology- absolutely loved this subject. I looked forward to every lesson and had an amazing time. Basically write model essays for the different types of questions that can come up which you go through in class and get your teacher to mark them and tell you where you need to improve and memorise the essays or have a plan for them at least than you can write an essay from in the real exam. Add lots of context to your essays and elaborate lots on the points you make!
Reply 14
Original post by Pinkberry_y
Maths I only did up to AS because I found that the hardest. I know everyone says with maths just to past papers again and again. But I just find maths really hard and I remember in every maths class I'd sit there really confused and leave feeling confused so I had to go see teachers most days after school to get them to explain the things to me again so that I could go away and be able to do the practice questions.

Biology- print of specification and use each bullet point as title and write your notes for each point. They can only test you on the specification. Lots of practice papers, learn the markschemes, know your textbook inside out. When you're doing an exam paper, if you're stuck on a question, think back to how it relates to the specification

Psychology- absolutely loved this subject. I looked forward to every lesson and had an amazing time. Basically write model essays for the different types of questions that can come up which you go through in class and get your teacher to mark them and tell you where you need to improve and memorise the essays or have a plan for them at least than you can write an essay from in the real exam. Add lots of context to your essays and elaborate lots on the points you make!

Thank you so much! I'll make sure to take your advice!
Was considering it but don't want to compromise my grades so I rejected the interviews :lol:
Reply 16
Thanks alot for the advice and im not sure about the exam boards yet since i havent started yet. How did you revise for maths? Did you use the same technique as your gcses or did you have to put extra effort?

Maths was a real rollercoaster tbh.
Closer to the exam dates, I just made a revision sheet with all the key formula for each unit within the paper.
Also when you've finished eg chapter one, go onto physicsandmathstutor.com or something like that and do the questions by topic.
Then do the bronze paper, then silver then gold and repeat for C2 and S1 or M1
Hi katiee8 if you do not mind me asking what was your job

Latest