The Student Room Group

A2 German Students (2016-2017) (mostly AQA)

Scroll to see replies

How is everyone going about revising for the speaking?!?! I am bricking it!
Original post by Anna1909
How is everyone going about revising for the speaking?!?! I am bricking it!

Me too! :frown: Mine is 11th May and i'm doing AQA.
I think i will be ok for the card part its just the cultural topics I'm struggling with and having to guide the conversation. I'm doing Das Leben der Anderen for the film and Der Vorleser for the book. I really want to get a high grade for my speaking as It's my strong part in German.

Anyone got any tips??
Reply 22
Original post by hattybiebs
Me too! :frown: Mine is 11th May and i'm doing AQA.
I think i will be ok for the card part its just the cultural topics I'm struggling with and having to guide the conversation. I'm doing Das Leben der Anderen for the film and Der Vorleser for the book. I really want to get a high grade for my speaking as It's my strong part in German.

Anyone got any tips??

Wtf that's so late omg mine is 28th April with AQA arghhh.

I'm so worried about the card part, so much more than the other 2 parts :colondollar:
Original post by Inexorably
Wtf that's so late omg mine is 28th April with AQA arghhh.

I'm so worried about the card part, so much more than the other 2 parts :colondollar:

Same tbh :s-smilie: and my exam is next week as well
How are you all revising and preparing for the stimulus card and the remaining three topics?
I agree that the stimulus card is the most unpredictable and worrying thing! It's so hard to prepare for! Where as for the cultural topics you can at least have an idea of what to say for almost any question you could get, I've just been trying to gain ideas in English about the controversial topics as when I do the cards in class it's always me that let's me down and not my German if that makes sense, like I just don't have enough ideas of how to for example solve racism etc. My exam is on the 5th of May! I did surprisingly well in the speaking last year so I am hoping the same will happen again 😂
Do you guys know if we have to give an opposite point of view as well during the 1minute presentation, even though you fully support/ or are against the stimulus card.
I agree that the stimulus card is the most unpredictable and worrying thing! It's so hard to prepare for! Where as for the cultural topics you can at least have an idea of what to say for almost any question you could get, I've just been trying to gain ideas in English about the controversial topics as when I do the cards in class it's always me that let's me down and not my German if that makes sense, like I just don't have enough ideas of how to for example solve racism etc. My exam is on the 5th of May! I did surprisingly well in the speaking last year so I am hoping the same will happen again 😂

Yeah that's true, I find it quite hard to come up with ideas that I can discuss and develop on things like ethical issues on technical progress :biggrin:. I just checked the examiner's material for the stimulus card on the AQA website and they give some notes that help the examiner to ask very challenging questions :s-smilie:
I don't think you have to present both arguments in the first minute, but I think it's really good to know and think about what the opposing arguments might be and how to contradict them!
Reply 29
my speaking exam is tomorrow!!

suprisingly i'm not as stressed out as I thought I would be

I listened to some AQA example speaking tests today and I was like .. oh ok i think i'm around the same level as they are, so hopefully all should go well
Ooooh good luck!! I've done the same and though the same too 😂 Mines next Friday! I hope that the cards are nice!!!
Reply 31
Thank you!!!

the panic has now set in 12 hrs beforehand

melts into a pool of worry
Hiya! This is a nice exam thread - I've added it to the Exam Thread Directory 2017

If you see any other exam threads threads that aren't in the directory yet - let me know by either tagging me in, or linking it in the directory and I can add it in! You can also find discussions for your other exams there.

If any of your other exams aren't on there yet - feel free to make the exam thread for it yourself

Good luck in your exams
Reply 33
Woohoo, did it this morning, don't think I can say what the cards were but God were the ones I were offered challenging!!

But I think I did ok
So you thought that it went well then? Oh god don't say that I am so worried about the cards!
Reply 35
So you thought that it went well then? Oh god don't say that I am so worried about the cards!

Someone else told me two of the cards they got though and they sounded really easy so you never know!!

Yes I think it went great tbh :biggrin: i might have a chance at that A* after all
Oooh that's at least a bit hopeful! I am secretly aiming for an A* too 😬😬
Original post by Inexorably
Someone else told me two of the cards they got though and they sounded really easy so you never know!!

Yes I think it went great tbh :biggrin: i might have a chance at that A* after all

That's great! I've had my exam as well.. my examiner asked some really challenging questions for the cultural topics and did not even ask one of the bullet point questions that are in the specification. I hope, whoever marks it notices that she was tough with me :s-smilie: :biggrin:.
I'm hoping for an A*-A as well
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 38
Original post by Lucky987
That's great! I've had my exam as well.. my examiner asked some really challenging questions for the cultural topics and did not even ask one of the bullet point questions that are in the specification. I hope, whoever marks it notices that she was tough with me :s-smilie: :biggrin:.

Ah you had an external examiner; almost everyone I know doing A-Level German gets external, but I get my teacher for it which is great x) Good luck for your results!

WELL HERE'S TO THE WRITING EXAM GUYS!
Original post by Lucky987

Hey. Did you find the stimulus card difficult?
(You don't need to provide details of the card, I just want to know your general thoughts....:smile:)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending