The Student Room Group

Does this A count ?

I want to go to a top 10 uni and one of the A's ill be using is in my first language. Will they count it or will they use my other subjects.
Original post by HideyoKids
I want to go to a top 10 uni and one of the A's ill be using is in my first language. Will they count it or will they use my other subjects.

You will need to ask the universities you want to apply to. There is no rule that says they can't count it but I have heard of it happening in the past, particularly with students taking Chinese A level. It may depend on what you apply for.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Original post by gdunne42
You will need to ask the universities you want to apply to. There is no rule that says they can't count it but I have heard of it happening in the past, particularly with students taking Chinese A level. It may depend on what you apply for.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah thanks. I was thinking of durham. The thing is I need that A too meet the offer and I can have A*AA predicted.
Reply 3
Yeah i guess ill have to use my other subjects

Posted from TSR Mobile

oh i didn't know that as well :lol:
what about UCAS points?
Reply 5
Original post by fatima1998
what about UCAS points?

I think that would work but for mid unis right ?
or am i wrong ?
I think that would work but for mid unis right ?
or am i wrong ?

umm i dunno hence i asked :lol:
dunno anything about unis :emo:
what about UCAS points?

A levels in a foreign language may be disregarded by a university if they are the students native language rather than a second language they learn. Language A levels are designed for non native speakers, they should not challenge a native speaker and so don't demonstrate an ability to learn.
A levels in a foreign language may be disregarded by a university if they are the students native language rather than a second language they learn. Language A levels are designed for non native speakers, they should not challenge a native speaker and so don't demonstrate an ability to learn.

but what if they speak 2 languages at the same time or learnt both??? e.g. English and Chinese learnt at the same time?
but what if they speak 2 languages at the same time or learnt both??? e.g. English and Chinese learnt at the same time?

As I said above, there is no fixed rule. Students should discuss their circumstances with their potential university to find out whether their language a level will be accepted.
Yeah thanks. I was thinking of durham. The thing is I need that A too meet the offer and I can have A*AA predicted.

Durham is a top uni and very competitive but don't assume they won't accept it. Have a look at their website for your subject and then get in touch with them in a few weeks (it'll be madness at the moment while they are sorting out places for this coming term).

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 11
Durham is a top uni and very competitive but don't assume they won't accept it. Have a look at their website for your subject and then get in touch with them in a few weeks (it'll be madness at the moment while they are sorting out places for this coming term).

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah, thanks a lot for your help. I've emailed them. I appreciate your help.

Quick Reply

Latest