The Student Room Group

Xbox 360 and fuses - god ****ing damn it!

This has really pissed me off guys, and I'm just bringing it to your attention so you can potentially do something about it and save your 360!

So today, we had a power spike that blew half the fuses in the house. I know this because half of the lights went off, loads of devices stopped working (including my 360 mid-use). Anyways, so I worked my way around the house, replacing all the fuses, until I finally got to the thing. I replaced the fuse, then crashed back down on my bed to see if I can pick up where I left off.

Nothing. Nada. So I check the supply, and the light isn't coming on. My initial reaction was 'silly Ross; you replaced it with one of the already burnt out fuses!'. So I go downstairs, retrieve one that I know to be working (first one out of a newly opened pack!). Still nothing. So I think 'bugger...my power supply's ****ed'.

But then, on closer inspection, on the plug it claims it only draws 2.7 amps from the wall. The 'blown' fuse in the plug was 10 amps! Intrigued, I slap the fuse I into the power cable for my laptop, and guess what? The bloody fuse wasn't blown! Which means that the goddamn factory fitted it with a fuse that was too goddamn big!!!!! :mad:

I'm majorly pissed with M$ at the moment - my only regret is that the goddamn support lines aren't open until 9am tomorrow; I think my anger may have quelled by then and they deserve to get shouted at. And if my goddamn 360 is broken along with the power supply...

*growls* :mad:

So guys, make sure that your 360 has a surge protector between it and the wall!!!!

And apologies for using 'goddamn' so much...
Reply 1
:frown: Unlucky, hopefully it's just the power supply that is blown and can be easily replaced. Don't take it out on the support lines though; it's not their fault.
Reply 2
Sziphix
:frown: Unlucky, hopefully it's just the power supply that is blown and can be easily replaced. Don't take it out on the support lines though; it's not their fault.

As predicted, my anger has quelled :wink: :biggrin:

But yeah, apparently they're reviewing the situation - and will call back within 48 hours - and the bloke predicted that the probably outcome will be that they'll send me a brand new power-supply free of charge. So good on them, and here's to hope that the box itself isn't bust! :smile:
Funny...
Having just gone and checked the fuse in my 360's plug. It seems to have a standard 3 AMP fuse...
Reply 4
Not as bad as the red ring of death my hosue experienced last week. 25days+ to fix also.
Reply 5
Mandatory xbox is hueg post
Reply 6
Hippysnake
Funny...
Having just gone and checked the fuse in my 360's plug. It seems to have a standard 3 AMP fuse...

Really? Gah! Well, I certainly didn't change it - and even if I did, I would've replaced it with the same kind of fuse that was already in there ('cause I'm a drone, see?)...so clearly it's a factory **** up; which hopefully strengthens my case :biggrin: Unless someone is playing a ridiculously obscure practical joke on me.

"Ah-ha! I've changed his fuse! Now all we have to do is wait for a power surge! How awesome is this?!?!?" :rolleyes: :biggrin:

Ariel
Mandatory xbox is hueg post

Subsequent mandatory post pointing out ridiculous, yet oh-so-simple spelling error; also telling original poster that not only is his comment bull**** - given that the Xbox 360 is the smallest truly next gen console - but also irrellevant to current discussion. Subsequent dismissal of original poster as Sony/Nintendo/Anti-Microsoft (delete as appropriate) fanboy. :p: :biggrin:
Reply 7
You probably need to get a surge protector so when it does it again you don't need a new power suppy.
I know friends who have been caught in a power surge and has damaged the circuitry in computers and have had go and buy a new computer cos the motherboard is *******ed
Reply 8
wizard710
You probably need to get a surge protector so when it does it again you don't need a new power suppy.
I know friends who have been caught in a power surge and has damaged the circuitry in computers and have had go and buy a new computer cos the motherboard is *******ed

Fuse = built in surge protection. It should have blown before my power supply - and as Hippysnake pointed out, it should be a 3A fuse; but it wasn't, it was a 10A one and thus my power supply got pwned :frown:
Reply 9
Slightly off topic but i've had 2 lightning strikes hit ground pretty near in 2 days! Everyone NEEDS surge protectors! My first one exploded (literally) when the strike hit, so i get a new one and the next day we get hit again!! I reccommend the belkin ones as they insure your equipment from damage and have a high 40k+ amps threshold before exploding!

Anyway hope you get the 360 fixed :P
swinely: all belkin protectors come with a guarantee. if they sto working, you get a replacement, free. (that means is the "protected" light goes out, AFAIK.)

I know this cause we replaced all our aging belkin protectors only to find we needn't have paid unless belkin could prove the protectors still worked in which case they would need replacing, so it's win-win all round. :p:

(in the end we jus made a note of it for future reperence, but it's still pretty useful.)
Reply 11
Woo-hoo! One Xbox 360 power-supply, delivered free of charge by Royal Mail! I is a happy bunny!

Latest