The Student Room Group

18 year who failed sixth form want to do A levels

I got bad grades in my Btecs and due to it's nature I can't resit them privately.

So I've been thinking about sitting A Levels Privately to apply to degree apprenticeships and university. I kinda want to get it over and done with so what are A Levels I can easily digest and excel in while working?
Original post by shimmyjimmyfor3
I got bad grades in my Btecs and due to it's nature I can't resit them privately.

So I've been thinking about sitting A Levels Privately to apply to degree apprenticeships and university. I kinda want to get it over and done with so what are A Levels I can easily digest and excel in while working?

There are no easy A levels. So if you're looking for A levels which are intrinsically easy, you're going to be out of luck.

However, different people will have different strengths, and might find some A levels easier than others.

Before launching into your A level journey it's essential that you are honest with yourself about what went wrong with your BTECs, lest exactly the same thing happen again.
Original post by DataVenia
There are no easy A levels. So if you're looking for A levels which are intrinsically easy, you're going to be out of luck.

However, different people will have different strengths, and might find some A levels easier than others.

Before launching into your A level journey it's essential that you are honest with yourself about what went wrong with your BTECs, lest exactly the same thing happen again.
Lack of discpline + surrounded by unmotivated clowns even when I'd try to study they'd just disturb me but it was still my fault I failed.

I'm not necesseraly looking for something easy just something that doesn't require me to have 130IQ and doesnt have 4 years of content to learn.

I'm thinking of doing Psychology Business and Maths/Politics

Do you think these are good options I can get through in the next year and 3 months while working full time?
Lack of discpline + surrounded by unmotivated clowns even when I'd try to study they'd just disturb me but it was still my fault I failed.

I'm not necesseraly looking for something easy just something that doesn't require me to have 130IQ and doesnt have 4 years of content to learn.

I'm thinking of doing Psychology Business and Maths/Politics

Do you think these are good options I can get through in the next year and 3 months while working full time?

An A level is supposed to take about 360 "guided learning hours" of study. So you've got about 1,080 hours of work to do. Can you see yourself fitting that around your full-time work commitments?

In terms of subjects, it's all about the subjects which suit you and which you will do best at. In terms of combinations, those seem fine. (Although you haven't mentioned what degree / degree apprenticeships you might want to apply to.)
Original post by DataVenia
An A level is supposed to take about 360 "guided learning hours" of study. So you've got about 1,080 hours of work to do. Can you see yourself fitting that around your full-time work commitments?

In terms of subjects, it's all about the subjects which suit you and which you will do best at. In terms of combinations, those seem fine. (Although you haven't mentioned what degree / degree apprenticeships you might want to apply to.)
I'll probably be working 40 hours a week

If each A Level requires 360 GLH It's around 15 hours per subject a month right which in total is 45 hours a month. not including revision which is worrying ngl in total I'd probably have to spend 80/90 hours a month on study.

40hr per week job and 20 hours of study damn IM COOKED LOL.

I dont think I can pick up Maths even though I want to do Finane/Econ at University and Finance and Tech Apprenticeships
I'll probably be working 40 hours a week

If each A Level requires 360 GLH It's around 15 hours per subject a month right which in total is 45 hours a month. not including revision which is worrying ngl in total I'd probably have to spend 80/90 hours a month on study.

40hr per week job and 20 hours of study damn IM COOKED LOL.

I dont think I can pick up Maths even though I want to do Finane/Econ at University and Finance and Tech Apprenticeships

If you were to do an hour and a half per day for two years, that's just over 1080 hours (1095 to be precise). Obviously, you'd have to revise and you'd take time off for holidays but an hour and a half per day doesn't sound so bad.

Also, if you're teaching yourself and not in any rush, you could take them over a slightly longer period. Whilst it's true that unis often like to see A-Levels done in two years, they may be more understanding of the fact that you've done them part-time whilst working full-time.

Further, given your circumstances, A-Levels may not actually be necessary or even the best option. An Access to HE Diploma may be more suited to you, as it is meant for mature learners or those without traditional qualifications. The people who teach them are likely also more familiar as to how to deal with people who have been out of education for a while. That's not to say that A-Levels are bad, just not the only way. Similarly, if a degree is what you want and you're not too fussed about the 'university experience', the Open University has a lot of experience with and accepts a much wider range of qualifications.
Original post by melancollege
If you were to do an hour and a half per day for two years, that's just over 1080 hours (1095 to be precise). Obviously, you'd have to revise and you'd take time off for holidays but an hour and a half per day doesn't sound so bad.

Also, if you're teaching yourself and not in any rush, you could take them over a slightly longer period. Whilst it's true that unis often like to see A-Levels done in two years, they may be more understanding of the fact that you've done them part-time whilst working full-time.

Further, given your circumstances, A-Levels may not actually be necessary or even the best option. An Access to HE Diploma may be more suited to you, as it is meant for mature learners or those without traditional qualifications. The people who teach them are likely also more familiar as to how to deal with people who have been out of education for a while. That's not to say that A-Levels are bad, just not the only way. Similarly, if a degree is what you want and you're not too fussed about the 'university experience', the Open University has a lot of experience with and accepts a much wider range of qualifications.
Looked into a HE Diploma but I dont think most apprenticeships accept them
I'd really advise against maths, I got a 9 at GCSE and also did Further maths and am still finding it difficult. If you haven't done any maths for a couple of years I think it would be really tough. People I know who did a mix of A-levels and BTECS always got higher grades in the BTECS because as long as you put the work in they are easier because they are a lot of coursework - so expect A-levels to be harder and definitely not something you can just fit around working full time.

I would go for softer subjects, particularly ones that don't have a GCSE version, so Business and Psychology might be good choices and I'd go for economics over maths - however if you want to do economics at degree level or apprenticeship then I'm guessing they'd really want a maths A-level - economics A-level is also very maths heavy I believe.

Personally I'd go into clearing this year and just see what you can get that you're interested in. You might be able to get a foundation year even if you can't get straight on a degree course. University's need to fill their places - I'd look at business degrees as well as finance/econ as fin/econ tend to be very competitive.
I'd avoid the apprenticeship route though, they're hugely competitive in finance/econ and you'll be up against people with 3 or 4 A*'s predicted plus all sorts of relevant and impressive extra curriculars.
Original post by Jakson123
I'd really advise against maths, I got a 9 at GCSE and also did Further maths and am still finding it difficult. If you haven't done any maths for a couple of years I think it would be really tough. People I know who did a mix of A-levels and BTECS always got higher grades in the BTECS because as long as you put the work in they are easier because they are a lot of coursework - so expect A-levels to be harder and definitely not something you can just fit around working full time.

I would go for softer subjects, particularly ones that don't have a GCSE version, so Business and Psychology might be good choices and I'd go for economics over maths - however if you want to do economics at degree level or apprenticeship then I'm guessing they'd really want a maths A-level - economics A-level is also very maths heavy I believe.

Personally I'd go into clearing this year and just see what you can get that you're interested in. You might be able to get a foundation year even if you can't get straight on a degree course. University's need to fill their places - I'd look at business degrees as well as finance/econ as fin/econ tend to be very competitive.
I'd avoid the apprenticeship route though, they're hugely competitive in finance/econ and you'll be up against people with 3 or 4 A*'s predicted plus all sorts of relevant and impressive extra curriculars.
Nah I'd rather not go into clearing lol.

Not doing maths limits the amount courses I can apply too and schools but I bookmarked the few which dont require maths hopefully though next years application process isnt ridicolously competitive

Quick Reply

Latest