The Student Room Group

french grades

hello! so basically if in my GCSE French exam (which I take next year) I got an A* on the Reading, A* on the writing and an A* on the speaking by doing higher, but then I did Foundation for Listening because I'm moderately deaf and got a high C, would this balance my overall grade out to an A or even an A*? or would it be lower?
Original post by geeorgie
hello! so basically if in my GCSE French exam (which I take next year) I got an A* on the Reading, A* on the writing and an A* on the speaking by doing higher, but then I did Foundation for Listening because I'm moderately deaf and got a high C, would this balance my overall grade out to an A or even an A*? or would it be lower?

It all depends on the UMS, but it definitely shouldn't be lower than an A considering the listening exam is only worth 15% :smile:

Good luck with your exams!
Reply 2
I agree w/ @trabajadora, it shouldn't knock your overall grade too much. Don't get complacent because of these grades though! Keep learning the vocab and stuff. I sat higher in July and I absolutely regret not diving into the vocab book my teacher gave me...

It would definitely be at least an A, even assuming borderline on all of the grades. An A* would depend on the individual UMS marks.

So if you get the highest C possible you get 41 UMS. To get an A* overall you'd need 270 UMS, which means across the reading, speaking and writing you'd need 229 UMS out of a possible 240 UMS. The grade boundaries are released tomorrow, so that may help you find out for sure.
Reply 5
oh okay thank you!! hopefully I get an A* in the reading next year haha, i'm already learning the vocab whoops.

Original post by trabajadora
It all depends on the UMS, but it definitely shouldn't be lower than an A considering the listening exam is only worth 15% :smile:

Good luck with your exams!

Quick Reply

Latest