The Student Room Group

The Official Vacation Scheme Thread 2017!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by bj_945
Hey,

I applied on the 4th and got a test link through on the weekend.

Oh fantastic, that's another PFO for me. Three in a week, it's getting better and better :smile:
Anyone done squire patton boggs video interview? pm please
How long did it take Jones Day to get back to people following the partner interview? Thanks!
Original post by soph497
Hi all, hoping for some advice on an admittedly quite fortunate predicament.

I've been offered one winter vac and was due to have an AC at Simmons for their winter vac on Thursday.
However as I work full time, it's not feasible to do both schemes (should I be successful at Simmons obviously) due to annual leave.

I emailed Simmons to let them know and ask if they would be able to transfer me to a straight TC app, because I still like them as a firm and would like to come and meet them, but they've basically said no and they'll have to withdraw my app so someone else can take my AC spot.
Is there anything I can say to sway them?!
I've heard of other people being able to do this when they're not able to attend a VS, seems a bit unfair :frown:

Can't say more than what people have already advised on here, but boy, just wanted to say how I would love to have a predicament like this :smile: well done!
Original post by dreamer959
PFO from NRF. Really don't know what the heck I'm doing wrong :/

Don't worry, welcome to the world of commercial law applications, a battleground i've been fighting in for the last 3 years with little success. You're probably not doing anything wrong, but its just so competitive. Most firms have so much talent applying to them they don't have spaces for, and they just don't care. When it comes to the crunch, a lot of it is luck also. I have a friend who copy and pasted so bad that his application answers had another firm's name- and he's now in his first seat lol. You can prepare the hell out of one application and be rejected, then just send another for fun and get it- I've done two vac schemes and both were gained through half hour, copy and paste apps.
Original post by theCapitalist2
How long did it take Jones Day to get back to people following the partner interview? Thanks!

I did mine last year- took exactly a week. No feedback policy by the way, which sucks.
anybody heard back from NSF?? I saw some PFOs (commiserations), but did anyone get an AC? sent mine mid-october, heard nothing yet.
Original post by HistoryLaw
Can't say more than what people have already advised on here, but boy, just wanted to say how I would love to have a predicament like this :smile: well done!

Haha thank you :smile: this is my fourth cycle and I applied to both firms two years ago, so persistence pays off it seems!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by J-SP
That's the dilemma of going for multiple jobs at the same time though. You ultimately will have to pick one over the other, even with internships.

Law is a pretty unique sector where the work experience/vacation placements are really short and that they have multiple programmes over different vacation breaks. Most other sectors will only have summer long internships and so you'd only be able to choose one organisation in the hope of then securing a graduate job with them. Yes, there is never a guarantee of you getting a TC with a firm - but that's the risk you have to take. From experience recruiters know you are instantly more difficult to persuade to join their firm if you choose to go and do a vac scheme with another firm, over their vac scheme offer. You will have to make one of them "second best" at some point even if you don't feel at the moment that neither of them are.

If you get a second offer and you want to experience both firms, negotiate with both of them. Seek any alternative whether it's another vacation programme, informal placement, work shadowing for a day or two, an open day etc. That will show your interest/enthusiasm. You might not get any flexibility for either of them and have to choose, but let's face it someone who has two vac schemes in their back pocket is in a much stronger position than someone who has one (or none). It's a nice position to be in - it's up to you to make it work to the best of your ability but ultimately you may have to choose one firm over the other, and that may mean you have less of a chance with the other in the future where they question your "loyalty" to their firm.

Posted from TSR Mobile

You're so sage J-SP :smile: I do agree. The right answer will come to me I'm sure!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Got an AC tomorrow for NRF
Original post by Qawdedrf

Are graduates unable to apply for the Summer Vac scheme, they seem to specify it's for penultimate and finalists but not graduates - any ideas if thats a concrete statement leaving graduates to only apply in Winter?
Don't worry, welcome to the world of commercial law applications, a battleground i've been fighting in for the last 3 years with little success. You're probably not doing anything wrong, but its just so competitive. Most firms have so much talent applying to them they don't have spaces for, and they just don't care. When it comes to the crunch, a lot of it is luck also. I have a friend who copy and pasted so bad that his application answers had another firm's name- and he's now in his first seat lol. You can prepare the hell out of one application and be rejected, then just send another for fun and get it- I've done two vac schemes and both were gained through half hour, copy and paste apps.

I don't think I can agree with that. Saying 'what's wrong with my applications' is necessarily meant here in a relative sense i.e. what is it that other applicants have that I don't. Just saying that it's a matter of luck is not fair to the people who get onto multiple schemes (of whom I know quite a few). It is unlikely that if things are heavily based on luck, some people would get onto multiple schemes, and others onto none at all.

I know that 'luck' or 'it's not you, it's just competitive' are the answers that everyone always gives, but I feel like that's just a different way of saying 'you're not that good, but I'd hate to hurt your feelings'. And I've spoken to multiple people about this, and always felt like this kind of feedback was very unhelpful to me.

Anyhow, maybe I'm just trying to drown my current confidence-crisis (and my dread at tomorrow's election :P) in overthinking things :wink: I apologise!
Original post by shaminn
Are graduates unable to apply for the Summer Vac scheme, they seem to specify it's for penultimate and finalists but not graduates - any ideas if thats a concrete statement leaving graduates to only apply in Winter?

Graduates can only apply for winter scheme and direct tc
I received an offer for training contract from Simmons Simmons this morning!
Original post by Qawdedrf

Hey, when did you apply?
anybody heard back from NSF?? I saw some PFOs (commiserations), but did anyone get an AC? sent mine mid-october, heard nothing yet.

Hey, I'm in the same boat - sent it around the 24th/25th, heard nothing back yet. Although I presume you mean NRF?
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 796
Anyone going to the Cleary Gottlieb AC next Monday?
Original post by Superlawgirl
I received an offer for training contract from Simmons Simmons this morning!

Congratulations!! Did you apply directly?
Reply 798
Anybody done the White & Case video interview? Any tips? I can help with BLP and HSF applications and assessment centres.
Hi guys,

I have an assessment centre on the 17th with Simmons. [Finished test exactly 2 weeks ago, got AC invite exactly 1 week ago]. I know a couple of people have already done it so I would really appreciate any insight, info or tips.

Thus far as I know, it involves:
1) A document review exercise [akin to the Reed Smith exercise] where you are given 30 minutes to read and analyse a set of documents - past topics included share-buy back schemes / office opening schemes etc. and followed up a 45 minutes interview, possibly 20-25 minutes on the document and 25 minutes on competency [covering career motivations at times]. So I just wanted to ask:

a) How many pages / sections were there?
b) What was the content surrounding?
c) What follow up questions were asked?

2) A written exercise that involves possibly a complaint from a client [akin to the K&S exercise] where you have to exercise some business acumen and professional etiquette to address the concern of a client.

a) How long was the preparation time / writing time allowed?

3) Group exercise

a) [as a side note, anyone attending the 17th AC as well, I am more than happy to meet up for a coffee or a pint to build up a rapport before the actual AC. I did this in the past for DLA Piper / 2Birds and it worked wonders in terms of teamwork and collaboration during such exercises - since these are not adversarial].

If I am missing out on any details [time or content] or have been seriously misinformed I would appreciate any comments. If you have any recollection of the interview, I would really appreciate any insight. I'm scheduled for a call with Amber this afternoon so I'll update this post once I get more info.

If you need help for Jones Day interview or BLP AC just reply to this message and I'll give you a brief breakdown on a separate post so others can have a quick look as well. If you're keen on meeting up prior to the AC just pm me and I'll sort something out. Gl everyone else.
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending