The Student Room Group

The Official Vacation Scheme Thread 2017!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 980
Original post by xoxoF
Previous firms I have interviewed with have asked me specially about certain issues such as Brexit and its impact. I have also been asked about what challanges I think the legal world is facing and to give examples using recent news stories.

Thank you very much! :smile: The legal world challenges question has always been tricky for me, because I talk too much about politics.
Reply 981
Original post by ashwaaq
I havent received anything yet so i am going to keep positive, can i ask when you applied?

I applied on the 10th October
Reply 982
Original post by Lawstuden808
Did anyone else receive an email from Simmons a week ago saying that you'd passed the video interview but their capacity for assessment days was almost full, and they'd be in contact? I did ring them up and they told me that they'd get back to me, but that if no more ACs for winter were available, then they would transfer my app to straight TC/.Summer scheme - bit worried that those ACs will also fill up, so not sure if I should call back again and ask if i can be transferred now itself?

ANY advice would be grateful!

Got the same email last Monday! I emailed them to ask to be transferred, and they said they'd get back to me soon with my options. I've heard nothing since. Weirdly, a friend of mine who has applied for the summer vac scheme has an AC at the end of November...

Let me know if you hear anything!
Hello!
I've been lurking on here for some time now, but never said 'hi'. I have a question regarding dress-code for interviews. I was wondering if it's okay for girls to wear trousers with a dress shirt and jacket to an interview. I know that a skirt is more conservative but a) I'm travelling a long way and don't want to freeze to death, b) the only formal skirt I have has a split on the side, which definitely violates the 'no skin showing above the kneee' rule if I sit down. I don't want to come across as a Merkel/Clinton look-alike but I don't want what I am wearing to undermine my professional appearance (I went to an open day at CC once and they said they rejected a guy because his shoes were not polished well enough and made him look sloppy, so I hope you see where I'm coming from).
Reply 984
Original post by wannabeLawyer10
Hello!
I've been lurking on here for some time now, but never said 'hi'. I have a question regarding dress-code for interviews. I was wondering if it's okay for girls to wear trousers with a dress shirt and jacket to an interview. I know that a skirt is more conservative but a) I'm travelling a long way and don't want to freeze to death, b) the only formal skirt I have has a split on the side, which definitely violates the 'no skin showing above the kneee' rule if I sit down. I don't want to come across as a Merkel/Clinton look-alike but I don't want what I am wearing to undermine my professional appearance (I went to an open day at CC once and they said they rejected a guy because his shoes were not polished well enough and made him look sloppy, so I hope you see where I'm coming from).

Hey, trousers with a dress shirt? Does that look smart? If so then it should be okay. Honestly, I would just go for a plain blouse and smart trousers with a blazer. I recently went to an interview at a city law firm and wore a plain black dress and thick black tights as it was freezing and a nice blazer. Hope that helps!
Original post by wannabeLawyer10
Hello!

I think smart trousers and shirt is absolutely fine! Or tights with your skirt, admittedly maybe not one with a slit in the side, but if your budget allows H&M have some great affordable options.
Professionalism is the key I'd say, not specific items - I wore a quite 'directional', but smart origami-style dress to an AC recently and got made an offer.
Reply 986
Would a dress that is slightly above the knee but with black tights on be a problem then? Essentially no skin above the knee would show because of the tights
Reply 987
Original post by soph497
I think smart trousers and shirt is absolutely fine! Or tights with your skirt, admittedly maybe not one with a slit in the side, but if your budget allows H&M have some great affordable options.
Professionalism is the key I'd say, not specific items - I wore a quite 'directional', but smart origami-style dress to an AC recently and got made an offer.

Did you wear a jacket with the dress? Is this a must?
Original post by UACOL
Did you wear a jacket with the dress? Is this a must?

No I didn't. Personally I never wear jackets, I know others think this is a good idea at interviews, I just never do day-to-day at work anyway. I only ever wear blouses/dresses that cover tops or arms/boobs though! :biggrin:
This particular dress was to the elbow and thick fabric so plenty warm enough.
Original post by aosab
Would a dress that is slightly above the knee but with black tights on be a problem then? Essentially no skin above the knee would show because of the tights

Not in my book, can't imagine anyone would have a problem with this!
Original post by aosab

It would be fine, provided you go for a high denier pair of tights. Also, I'd opt for a dress with sleeves, or at least cap sleeves.
Anyone heard from Squires post video interview yet?
Original post by glos91
Got the same email last Monday! I emailed them to ask to be transferred, and they said they'd get back to me soon with my options. I've heard nothing since. Weirdly, a friend of mine who has applied for the summer vac scheme has an AC at the end of November...

Let me know if you hear anything!

Rang them today, and she said we can't change until the winter vac scheme is full!
Original post by LawStudent57
Anyone heard from Squires post video interview yet?

Did you apply for london? If so when did you apply and then hear back for the video interview?
Original post by Lawstuden808
Did you apply for london? If so when did you apply and then hear back for the video interview?

No, Manchester. And I applied mid-October and heard within a couple of weeks.
Reply 995
Original post by LawStudent57
No, Manchester. And I applied mid-October and heard within a couple of weeks.

Hey, I completed the video interview for London over the weekend and waiting to hear back. They said they will let people know this week as the A/C is running next Monday.
Original post by xoxoF
Hey, I completed the video interview for London over the weekend and waiting to hear back. They said they will let people know this week as the A/C is running next Monday.

How long after submitting your app did you hear back?
Original post by Weenja
I applied on the 10th October

Did you submit your WG test then also? I applied on the 13th so can not imagine I will be part of another batch lmao. Wondering if i should send another email??
I applied to SPB Birmingham 2 weeks ago and haven't heard anything.

Assume PFO?
Reply 999
Original post by ashwaaq
Did you submit your WG test then also? I applied on the 13th so can not imagine I will be part of another batch lmao. Wondering if i should send another email??

No I spent a few says preparing for it so I think I did the test on around the 15th. Depends how badly you need to know I guess. Surely wont be longer than a week until you find out, but yeah they take their time. Fingers crossed you get it too, would be funny if we both made it to the assessment centre

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending