The Student Room Group

The Official Vacation Scheme Thread 2017!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by bj_945
Another question for everyone:

What is everyone's view as to whether the part of vacation scheme assessment days where you "meet trainees" is assessed?

I explicitly asked the Simmons & Simmons graduate team whether it was, they claimed not. Any views as to whether this is true everywhere?

Trainees do not have a say in the admissions process so it cannot really be assessed if you are alone with the trainee. It's not a big deal anyone as your not going to say anything stupid anyway.
Original post by bj_945
Another question for everyone:

What is everyone's view as to whether the part of vacation scheme assessment days where you "meet trainees" is assessed?

I explicitly asked the Simmons & Simmons graduate team whether it was, they claimed not. Any views as to whether this is true everywhere?

I can only make an educated guess, but I've always assumed that they (at most!) use trainees to weed out the completely inappropriate people :P I don't think they give feedback on everyone they meet, but maybe they flag up people who royally mess something up? E.g. last year during a work experience scheme one of the students got drunk and started hitting on a trainee, so I thought that would probably be reported, but minor instances of sillines wouldn't.
Original post by Undisclosed 15
My friend has an AC at Freshfields next week so they can contact you early. However, they do say that they are not rolling and I know someone last year who got a Vac Scheme and they applied in Jan.

Oh, thanks for letting me know - so on the flip side, if they know you're not good enough, will they reject you before the deadline also? And only give offers after the deadline? Or could you be in a position that you apply, are not good enough to go to AC, and then wait until January to be rejected?
Been invited to do Verbal Reasoning and Situational Judgement tests for Mayer Brown - can anyone help with how to answer the situational judgement test? I've failed this kind of test before - can offer help with various ACs, did BLP a few of weeks ago for example. Thanks!
Reply 1184
Hi does anyone know if Denton's first interview is held over the phone or at their office? I booked a slot and the location appears to be at their London office.

Also has anyone heard back from Fieldfisher? Thanks!
Reply 1185
Does anyone know if firms contact your references for a VS offer or is it just TC offer?
Has anyone received an offer for the A&O winter vac schem?
Has anyone heard anything from Travers Smith regarding their winter vacation scheme 2016
Reply 1188
Has anyone received an offer from Stephenson Harwood for their winter scheme? It's coming up to 5 weeks since I interviewed with them for it….
Original post by djh93
Hi does anyone know if Denton's first interview is held over the phone or at their office? I booked a slot and the location appears to be at their London office.

London office, i believe it is a competency interview with HR - have a look at their website (it is stated there)
(edited 7 years ago)
Anyone applied to Covington & Burling?
Original post by djh93

Congrats! For Dentons, was it a Easter/Summer Vac scheme or direct TC?
Anyone have experience with Baker & McKenzie? I've been invited to do the situational judgement test but in the email it states after the test, a verbal rest may be required. Is this only if I pass the situational judgement test?
Original post by giggy12s
Anyone have experience with Baker & McKenzie? I've been invited to do the situational judgement test but in the email it states after the test, a verbal rest may be required. Is this only if I pass the situational judgement test?

Hi, I assume that is the case. Simmons & Simmons is certainly like that! Can I ask when you applied and for which scheme?
Original post by djh93

Hey well done on the interview! can i ask when you applied and when they got back to you? thanks!
Also I think if your not sure shooting them an email to confirm would be best :smile:
When firm's ask e.g. "Do you have a personal contact at Norton Rose Fulbright?*" what is the appropriate answer? as in this case I know a trainee who has been helping me with the application...
I am doing my Slaughter and May TC application (yup, I know this is a VS forum), and I was wondering if I should mention in my cover letter that I went to an open day there? The reason I'm asking is because the open day was for VS rejectees, so I'm not sure how impressive it will look on the application, and how much value it will add to it (am writing a short cover letter, so will only mention the open day without elaborating).

Any thoughts?
Shearman email saying I will be considered for the Spring and Summer schemes as the winter one is full and they will prioritise those who only selected Winter on their application...not very impressed with that after all the delay
Original post by JW-92
Has anyone received an offer from Stephenson Harwood for their winter scheme? It's coming up to 5 weeks since I interviewed with them for it….

Hey, so I applied to SH on around the 10th of October, and was interviewed around the 20th, and rejected shortly afterwards for the winter vac.

They may still be running interviews - I don't know.
Offer for Linklaters Winter Vac :smile: For anyone who wants to know:

Applied on the 4th Nov
Watson Glaser invite on the 14th
AC on the 22nd
Offer on the 23rd

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending