The Student Room Group

should i apply for medicine with my AS results?

so i got my AS results just like everyone else and i was quite content with my grades since i feel like i didnt put in nearly as much work as i should have. over the year i was confident i would apply for pharamcy/pharmacology at a london uni but as it got closer to results day and i was doing more research, courses like medicine and biomedical science interested me much more.

my grades were AACC with A's in biology and geography and C's in chemistry. Of course these alone arent good enough fro meidcal school but i've been told that my ucas application will display my end of A2 predicted grades which would be 1 grade higher than my AS results. In this case my predicted grade on my UCAS application would be either A*A*BB/A*ABB/AABB (A* predictions are calculated differently apparently).

Since my science subjects are linear it is completely possible that I dont meet these predictions, i could get a lower grade in biology or a higher grade in chemistry. maths however i can retake modules.

I was just wondering if it would be realistic for me getting into a medical school or if I shouldnt bother and just sick with biomedical science instead?

any response appreciated!
You will need AAA predictions for Med Schools.

Whether or not you decide to apply based on your existing grades is up to you. The Universities will be able to see both your achieved and predicted grades. How is the rest of your application?

There is also the option of not applying this year and making a post A-level application .

If you decide to do Biochem or Biomed in order to do graduate entry Medicine, do bear in mind this is much more competitive than the non-accelerated course.

Quick Reply

Latest