The Student Room Group
Graduation garden party, Queen's University Belfast
Queen's University Belfast

Applying to nursing with this work experience?

For about three years I wanted to do nursing and then I changed to teaching following some advice from my careers teacher who said to explore other options too and not be so set on one thing. Now I've returned to nursing but am wondering if I have enough work experience for a successful application.

I volunteer in a hospital one night a week helping out with dinners and talking to patients. I took a first aid class in school last year and passed with full marks. I did a summer scheme with a special needs school for two weeks, and have volunteered in a library as a children's volunteer for the summer as well, but I mostly worked with older members of the public and only occasionally read to kids. I am going to join the community service committee at my school this year as well.

I achieved four A's in AS biology, psychology, English literature and health and social care, and am continuing on the first three to A2 with a predicted three A* grades. I think I am quite good at making an impression in interviews as well.

Is there any chance of me getting in to nursing at Queen's, or do I not have enough experience?

Thanks for any help!
I didn't apply to Queen's since I live in England, but I did apply to some of the top unis for nursing here and from my experience I'd you have more than enough experience. As long as you're able to make links between the experience you have and how it would help on the course, I see no reason why you shouldn't get an interview.

Since you have so much experience however, one problem might be that you don't go into enough depth regarding your experience due to the word limit. My suggestion would be to go in depth about what you've learned volunteering in the hospital and special needs school (since that's where you've had the most interaction with people) and briefly mention the other experiences.

Don't worry too much you seem like you'll make a great candidate! Feel free to PM if you have any other questions :smile:
Graduation garden party, Queen's University Belfast
Queen's University Belfast
Your experience is fine. But experience does not automatically mean you will have a great application or will pass interview if asked.
It's all about how you can apply that experience to what you want to do, ie children or adult nursing etc.
You need to show an understanding of what you're applying to do & how that experience has helped.
It doesn't matter too much on the stance of the university but this does play a part. Nursing is competitive regardless and all universities receive thousands of applications each year.
Use that experience and learn from it in your application.
Best of luck.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending