The Student Room Group

no work experience for nursing application

Hi, i’m a aware that this is completely my fault for putting myself in this situation, but over the course of this year, i haven’t been able to find work experience and im struggling with what i should do as im an applicant for 2024. it’s something im really passionate about but i don’t know how to express that in my personal statement without evidence of experience. im feeling very stressed out and guidance would be much appreciated. are there any unis or situations where no work experience would be accepted? i know it’s unlikely but it would really help if i was given an idea. thank you
Hey,

Don't stress you still have time to gain some work experience before you submit your personal statement and start your Nursing course.

Springpod have great virtual work experience that you can complete in your own time and is recognised by many universities and employers. Also, it is worth noting that the work experience does not necessarily need to relate to your chosen degree as any work experience will teach you something and is better than doing none. Please follow this link to find out more about Springpod: https://www.springpod.com/virtual-work-experience

As you are going to be studying Nursing it may be worth visiting your local hospitals to see if there is any volunteering roles available. This will be great to talk about in your personal statement and will give you some knowledge and skills before you start your nursing degree. Follow this link to find out more: https://www.england.nhs.uk/get-involved/get-involved/volunteering/

However, as mentioned work experience does not necessarily need to relate to your chosen degree as any work experience will be beneficial. For example, getting an part-time job in a supermarket or cafe can teach you basic communication skills that you will use when you are a student nurse. It will also demonstrate that you are a caring person who enjoys communicating with the public.

I hope this helps and good luck in finding some work experience :smile:
(edited 5 months ago)
Reply 2
Original post by Ellejules
Hi, i’m a aware that this is completely my fault for putting myself in this situation, but over the course of this year, i haven’t been able to find work experience and im struggling with what i should do as im an applicant for 2024. it’s something im really passionate about but i don’t know how to express that in my personal statement without evidence of experience. im feeling very stressed out and guidance would be much appreciated. are there any unis or situations where no work experience would be accepted? i know it’s unlikely but it would really help if i was given an idea. thank you

Hi
Agree with what the person in post #2 has said.

Although experience is not necessary it will be useful to get some in . Perhaps you can ( if possible) apply for a HCA or auxiliary nurse position part-time at your local hospital - check any vacancies via your local NHS website. Also nursing homes either volunteering or paid work.

Make sure you have the necessary entry requirement for nursing at your chosen universities okay.

I done a midwifery degree without any previous nursing skills and I have been qualified as a midwife now for just over 4 year's.
Do you have some experience caring for or helping out with sick or elderly relatives/neighbours? You could discuss that in your personal statement.
Reply 4
you should be able to get a part time jod in a care centre. its important to try a caring role just to be sure you like the role.

Hi there!

Current student nurse here.

As part of my role, I go to schools and colleges and discuss studying nursing, and one of the things we say at LJMU is that whilst healthcare experience is preferred, it's not always a necessity. One of the things we say is if you work at McDonald's, you have transferrable skills; working under pressure, working with the public, time-management, communication and conflict resolution.

As mentioned by others, enquire with hospitals in your local area regarding voluntary work, too

Best of luck!
Nat
(edited 5 months ago)

Hi,

I'm a current nursing student and although having relevant work experience would be desirable, it isn't necessarily a necessity.

I would recommend if possible to have a look in local hospitals or nursing homes, for some volunteer opportunities, even something as simple as going in to read a newspaper to a resident shows an empathetic and caring side to you. If this isn't a possibility, any volunteer opportunities such as charity shops or part-time jobs will have transferrable skills such as communication and problem-solving which will apply to nursing so be sure to mention them in your personal statement.

I hope it all works out for you and just remember to show your personality and passion in your personal statement.

Mary
London South Bank University Student Rep (3rd-year Children's Nursing)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending