The Student Room Group

Questions about Dental and Hygiene and Therapy course

I meet the A-Level requirements for most uni's that offer the course and have work experience in a hospital but nothing related to Dentistry. I heard that most people who get offers have worked as Dental Nurse for years. Is there any point in applying as guy who has not ever worked as a Dental Nurse before due to the high competition for the course. I really want to study being DHT but I realistically, I won't be able to work as a Dental Nurse in time for my application so I have the chance of getting an offer. Has there been anyone out there who has not worked as a Dental Nurse but only done some shadowing at some dental practices get accepted? Also I know this is an incredibly stupid question, but would I be rejected as I male. Again, I'm so sorry for asking that stupid question but from reading all the threads here and asking online, I don't understand why there are so little males on DHT courses?
Original post by UncleOldHorse
I meet the A-Level requirements for most uni's that offer the course and have work experience in a hospital but nothing related to Dentistry. I heard that most people who get offers have worked as Dental Nurse for years. Is there any point in applying as guy who has not ever worked as a Dental Nurse before due to the high competition for the course. I really want to study being DHT but I realistically, I won't be able to work as a Dental Nurse in time for my application so I have the chance of getting an offer. Has there been anyone out there who has not worked as a Dental Nurse but only done some shadowing at some dental practices get accepted? Also I know this is an incredibly stupid question, but would I be rejected as I male. Again, I'm so sorry for asking that stupid question but from reading all the threads here and asking online, I don't understand why there are so little males on DHT courses?

Hi, from what I've read on other forums there is 1/1 ratio on how many students have dental nurse experience or come straight from A-levels so I wouldn't worry about it too much. I've been a Dental Nurse for 6 years, Sep 24 is my third year applying and I only received one interview so far.. I do have A-levels from about 10 years ago, recent access course and all the other bits. So, yea it is very competitive but it doesn't matter that you don't have a lot of dental experience, but most unis do want you to have some. Also, it really doesn't matter that you're a male :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest