The Student Room Group

Oxford University - MEDICINE 2018 ENTRY

HELLO , current oxford students, graduates and any applicants please help.
JUST GOT MY GCSE'S RESULTS AND GOT 7A's and 4B's , AND WILL BE TAKING BIOLOGY , CHEMISTRY AND GEOGRAOHY AND EPQ FOR A LEVELS DO YOU THINK IT IS WORTH APPLYING TO OXFORD WITH THOSE GCSE GRADES AND DO YOU THINK I HAVE A GOOD CHANCE OF GETTING AN INTERVIEW ATLEAST. I SAY THIS BECUASE ON AVERAGE APPLICANTS HAVE 8A* s FOR MEDICINE . please be honest! and thank you.
Hey, so I'm applying this year and I've spoken to numerous admissions tutors, and they have all said that you need a certain proportion of A* grades, like at least 8 I think it is. Most people applying will have at least that or more.
Unless all the rest of your school did worse than you, I don't think applying is a good idea, sorry if that sounds rude 😁
https://www.medsci.ox.ac.uk/study/medicine/pre-clinical/statistics

I assume that's relevant - the allcaps triggered some kind of 'don't read' reflex.
Reply 3
Original post by 07cdominic
Hey, so I'm applying this year and I've spoken to numerous admissions tutors, and they have all said that you need a certain proportion of A* grades, like at least 8 I think it is. Most people applying will have at least that or more.
Unless all the rest of your school did worse than you, I don't think applying is a good idea, sorry if that sounds rude 😁

Thanks for your honest opinion , I would rather be told not apply than to apply and then be rejected straight away. Do you know if I would be able to get into Cambridge with those grades , I heard that they are less harsh on your gcse's grades , also
on their website it says they have no specific gcse requirements .
Original post by ZH786
Thanks for your honest opinion , I would rather be told not apply than to apply and then be rejected straight away. Do you know if I would be able to get into Cambridge with those grades , I heard that they are less harsh on your gcse's grades , also

Those grades are tbh not good for Cambridge either. If you get a fantastic UMS average and BMAT, however (we're talking about over 95% and an average of at least 6 in BMAT here), then Cambridge probably would think of you as a fairly strong applicant. Also, Cambridge interviews like 85% or so of their applicants, so you would have a much better chance of an interview there.
Nope :smile:
Original post by ZH786

Cambridge doesn't place as much importance on GCSEs, so as StationtoStation said, if you get a good UMS + BMAT, you'd most likely receive an interview invitation.

Also if applying to Cambridge, it's worth looking into how competitive each college is, as the pooling system isn't as fair as at Oxford.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending