The Student Room Group

How to get confidence?

I just got rejected from a company after I did an assessment/experience thing due to having no confidence. They said I did well but the confidence is a really big issue.
I kind of expected it but I can't help feeling crushed. I've always been shy and quiet and I don't know what to do anymore. I'm 17 and most of my friends have jobs but it's always the interview that gets me. It's so disheartening as when I've asked people about it they just say you need a job, that'll get you out of your shell.

Please can someone suggest anything to help me. I am so desperate right now. The only time I've been confident around people I don't know is when I had some vodka but obviously I can't do a couple of shots every time I want to go out. Thank you!!!
I've always felt that while people think of confidence as something that's largely external in terms of how people view a person, it really starts internally. In times of self doubt I always have a few examples of times I've done something well or achieved something stored in my head to give me a bit of a lift. Even the most confident people will go through these little dips.

Also, it's worth mentioning that, while failing sucks, you should think of it as a positive. I've failed plenty of times so far, exams, interviews, jobs etc. Its a learning curve. I hate this phrase but it kind of works: Everyday's a school day.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending