The Student Room Group

Guy wearing a dress to nightclub?

Hey,

So I am a 22 year old, cis-male, pansexual, that believes clothes have no gender. I have a slim figure and love wearing dresses, skirts, leggings as well as "traditionally male" clothing. My friends support me and have no issue with this. They even comment on how great I look.

I am having trouble gaining confidence to wear what I want on nights out though. For example I just got a really nice mini dress that I would love to wear out next weekend. My friends say go for it but I am hesitant.

Guys/Girls what would you genuinely think of you saw a male presenting person in a club in a mini dress? Thx
Reply 1
Personally I wouldn't think or look twice, unless I liked the dress and was wondering where you got it :biggrin: Like you said, clothes have no gender, so it doesn't make a difference to me what someone wears. Though as a gay trans guy, maybe I have a bit more of an open mind than some would. That said, I think most people wouldn't say or do anything, especially if you're with your friends. Unfortunately there'll always be people who stare, and some a**holes who might pass comment or something, but I think most people probably wouldn't pay that much attention.
Reply 2
Original post by cyberhex
Personally I wouldn't think or look twice, unless I liked the dress and was wondering where you got it :biggrin: Like you said, clothes have no gender, so it doesn't make a difference to me what someone wears. Though as a gay trans guy, maybe I have a bit more of an open mind than some would. That said, I think most people wouldn't say or do anything, especially if you're with your friends. Unfortunately there'll always be people who stare, and some a**holes who might pass comment or something, but I think most people probably wouldn't pay that much attention.

Thank you! I know this is how I should feel but it's difficult to gain the confidence. How did you find it?

It is this dress BTW: https://ego.co.uk/clg181-long-sleeve-backless-thong-detail-mini-bodycon-dress-in-charcoal.html
Reply 3
Original post by Taypac
Thank you! I know this is how I should feel but it's difficult to gain the confidence. How did you find it?

It is this dress BTW: https://ego.co.uk/clg181-long-sleeve-backless-thong-detail-mini-bodycon-dress-in-charcoal.html

If I'm honest with you, my confidence is sort of 50/50. Some things I am definitely not confident in, and some things I just go, 'screw it, this is who I am and what I like' and do it anyway.

For instance, I tend to dress masculine (one day I hope to wear skirts again, not a confidence thing, just a dysphoria one unfortunately) but I love wearing eye makeup, and I'm usually in bold dark colours because I'm a rock/metal fan, so I 100% get the thing about being confident in it - I didn't wear it for a good year or so. Then the other month, I just started wearing it to my uni lectures. My philosophy was kind-of, 'I used to like wearing it and I don't want people's perceptions of me to stop me' and 'I've got all this makeup, I don't want to waste it just sitting there, may as well use it.' Similar to you, some of my friends complimented me on it, some just didn't even mention it. And my gender probably factors into this, but it was nice to kind-of claim something back, if that makes sense? Like, once I'd done it and found I liked it, I had something that I could do and not over-analyse it.

Ultimately I think confidence is definitely an ongoing battle. Sometimes you just have to power through and do something once, some things you have to slowly build up to - I started with eyeliner since I knew that was slightly more "socially acceptable" as a guy (it's really weird knowing gender norms mean nothing but having them so internalised you feel like you have to stick to them) and then I moved up to eyeshadow and mascara as well once I realised I actually liked it. So, maybe if going for it all at once is a bit overwhelming, you could try something smaller but still something that slightly pushes the boundaries of your comfort zone. And I promise that, one day, you'll get there and not have to worry about it :h:

(P.S. nice dress! not something I'd wear but it looks good :smile:)
Go for it! Sure you'll look great! :smile:
Reply 5
i wouldnt
Reply 6
lets NOT do that..... uwu
Original post by Taypac
Guys/Girls what would you genuinely think of you saw a male presenting person in a club in a mini dress? Thx

I'd not assume how you identify or the pronouns you prefer without speaking to you. Beyond that, wouldn't give a damn. Wear what you want to wear and hold your head high.
(edited 11 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest