The Student Room Group
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes

Anyone doing a Open Degree? Could I get a job after?

I mean the flexible choose your own modules degree they offer at OU?

I don't know what I want to do after Uni but I know of a couple subjects in interested in, so thought this might suit me, being able to pick and choose modules.

But after the degree what do I tell employers I have a degree in?

If I wanted an IT job but only did 1 or 2 modules of a computer related subject, can I?

If I end up doing 1 it, 1 science, 1 maths etc and it's just random subjects, could I get a job in any of those fields, without a degree in one of them specifically? If that makes sense?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Realistically, an Open Degree probably won't end up as a totally random combination of modules, because most modules at levels 2 and 3 have some suggested prerequisites. You can, in theory, take whatever you want, but it probably won't go well if, for example, you suddenly decided to study Spanish at level 3 even though you've never done it before, or whatever.

In practice, then, most open degrees end up as either a combination of two different subjects, each of which is studied at all three levels; or as a pathway through closely-related subjects but with a bit more flexibility than within the equivalent named degree (for example, if there were two modules you really wanted to do at level 3 but the named pathway only allowed to to do one of them, you might pick an open degree instead so as to be able to do the combination you wanted). It's probably a good idea to check out the available modules and the pathways you might follow, to get an idea of what's workable.

In terms of jobs, a large percentage of graduate jobs are open to graduates in any discipline, so an open degree would certainly be fine for those. It's hard to answer regarding career plans you aren't sure about, obviously! Some fields will want to see a degree in a particular subject, others aren't at all bothered.

Personally I think explaining an open degree is perfectly straightforward - "I have an open degree; I studied a combination of Creative Writing and Design & Innovation". Job done.
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes
Reply 2
Original post by l14muk
I mean the flexible choose your own modules degree they offer at OU?

I don't know what I want to do after Uni but I know of a couple subjects in interested in, so thought this might suit me, being able to pick and choose modules.

But after the degree what do I tell employers I have a degree in?

This is always the problem with Open degrees.
If you're intending to use the degree to get a job then, obviously, you need to make sure you have some kind of focus in your module choice. "Dunno, bit of everything" will not impress.

If I wanted an IT job but only did 1 or 2 modules of a computer related subject, can I?

Sure, if you can demonstrate IT skills some other way.

If I end up doing 1 it, 1 science, 1 maths etc and it's just random subjects, could I get a job in any of those fields, without a degree in one of them specifically? If that makes sense?

And nope. Zero chance of working in a scientific field without having done a science degree at a minimum* (which could be an Open degree but following one of the science pathways).
*Well, you could probably get a low level lab assistant type job, but then you wouldn't need the degree at all.

Quick Reply

Latest