The Student Room Group

Compelling personal reasons!

Hi.

Because I'm moving into a new university and I couldn't do my year this year due to medical condition, student finance might not pay me for my second year. Its infuriating because if I had stayed in my old university, I would get the full finance till the end of my course but because I'm moving, I won't. And i cannot go back to my old university. Too many bad memories and if I go back there, I will probably fail again.

Anyways, I got a doctor's letter, but that's all the evidence I really have. I didn't believe anyone could help me, let alone my doctor. Hence I didnt go anywhere. But I don't know if this letter is enough. I don't know if it provides enough evidence to exactly what they want. But I'll write down what the letter says so that you may give me more insight on whether it will be enough. Also, my doctor is going holiday next week for two weeks and if its not enough, it will really just delay the appeal.

I'll try and take the key parts from the letter that should be enough.

"He presented in February this year with low mood, major social withdrawal and a sense of being overwhelmed by challenges of daily life. After a second meeting he was diagnosed with depression and commenced on treatment including a referral for counselling and commencement of anti-depressant medication. As a result of this illness he was unable to continue with his studies

It has taken him several months to make substantial progress in dealing with these problems and he informs me that he is planning to switch university..."

Please let me know whether this is what they are asking for or whether I need to add additional information
Hi there.

When applying for 'Compelling Personal Reasons' the processing of evidence is entirely at the assessor's discretion, so we can't say definitively if the letter will be accepted until it's been looked at.

What they normally look for is for the medical conditions to be explained slightly and made clear that this was the reason you were unable to complete the course.

As this letter explains the situation and states this is why you had to move, it's likely this will be accepted.

Thanks.
Reply 2
Original post by Brian SFE
Hi there.

When applying for 'Compelling Personal Reasons' the processing of evidence is entirely at the assessor's discretion, so we can't say definitively if the letter will be accepted until it's been looked at.

What they normally look for is for the medical conditions to be explained slightly and made clear that this was the reason you were unable to complete the course.

As this letter explains the situation and states this is why you had to move, it's likely this will be accepted.

Thanks.

Thank you very much for your reply, Brian. Its a bit of a sigh of relief.

However, would it help if I explained my "story" and what happened to the fullest and would it be accounted for? As I heard that, the assessor only looks for things from a professional person. Thanks again.
Hi there.

Great, I'm glad to hear that.

If you yourself prepared a letter it's not likely the assessor would take this into consideration, they will normally only pay attention to letters from professional bodies.

If your Doctor can explain in as much detail as possible in their letter the situation, then this will certainly help your case.

Thanks

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending