The Student Room Group

Student Finance

Hi,

I am 24 years old.

I am currently in my 2nd year of a foundation degree which has been funded partially by myself and the rest by my employer.

I am trying to leave due to being treated unfairly by my employer and this has impacted my ability to apply myself towards my qualification. My GP has referred me to counselling as this is effecting my mental health.

If I continue and finish the year but fail how do I stand in regards to student finance to start a new degree?

There is no option to redo my year as the course is no longer being run, I am the last year and I need to be employed to gain supervised hours and cannot gain these as I will be leaving.

Many Thanks
Original post by Bexkiejones
Hi,
I am 24 years old.
I am currently in my 2nd year of a foundation degree which has been funded partially by myself and the rest by my employer.
I am trying to leave due to being treated unfairly by my employer and this has impacted my ability to apply myself towards my qualification. My GP has referred me to counselling as this is effecting my mental health.
If I continue and finish the year but fail how do I stand in regards to student finance to start a new degree?
There is no option to redo my year as the course is no longer being run, I am the last year and I need to be employed to gain supervised hours and cannot gain these as I will be leaving.
Many Thanks

Hi there,

Do you know what type of degree you'd be looking to do and would this be full or part time? Can you also confirm if you current have 2 years of previous study since leaving further education or have you studied previously? Thanks, Jason
Reply 2
Hi,

I haven’t exactly made a choice on what I would study in the future as it depends on finance options available to myself as I do not have the finances to fund my own study.

Ideally I would love to fund myself to complete a higher education access course and then study vetinary science as I love biology and animals. I would not want to fund a higher education access course to then find out I cannot proceed onto the degree I desire.

I currently study Opthalmic Dispensing at Canterbury Christ Church combined with a Level 6 diploma at abdo college, the diploma contributes towards the degree. This course will no longer be run after this year. To then top this up to a full degree I would enter a 3rd year with abdo college and Canterbury university but I intend to leave due to the treatment I have received from my employer. The course requires you to work in an optical practice under supervision hence why I will not be continuing the course following leaving employment, as this is currently hard for me to leave due to being tied into a training agreement this may last longer than the year end of my foundation degree.

Many thanks
Hi,
I haven’t exactly made a choice on what I would study in the future as it depends on finance options available to myself as I do not have the finances to fund my own study.
Ideally I would love to fund myself to complete a higher education access course and then study vetinary science as I love biology and animals. I would not want to fund a higher education access course to then find out I cannot proceed onto the degree I desire.
I currently study Opthalmic Dispensing at Canterbury Christ Church combined with a Level 6 diploma at abdo college, the diploma contributes towards the degree. This course will no longer be run after this year. To then top this up to a full degree I would enter a 3rd year with abdo college and Canterbury university but I intend to leave due to the treatment I have received from my employer. The course requires you to work in an optical practice under supervision hence why I will not be continuing the course following leaving employment, as this is currently hard for me to leave due to being tied into a training agreement this may last longer than the year end of my foundation degree.
Many thanks

Once you know the type of course you're looking to study we can advise on how to apply for this. As some courses are exempt from previous study rules whereas others, in order to get an extra year of fees, we'd require you to submit evidence as to why you couldn't previously complete your course.

Thanks, Jason
Reply 4
Original post by SFE Jason
Once you know the type of course you're looking to study we can advise on how to apply for this. As some courses are exempt from previous study rules whereas others, in order to get an extra year of fees, we'd require you to submit evidence as to why you couldn't previously complete your course.
Thanks, Jason

My question is what if I complete the foundation degree but fail it due to the circumstances surrounding my employment and the treatment I’m receiving will that count as 2 full years of study?

Many thanks,

Beckie
My question is what if I complete the foundation degree but fail it due to the circumstances surrounding my employment and the treatment I’m receiving will that count as 2 full years of study?
Many thanks,
Beckie

Hi there,

We would only use Compelling Personals Reasons (CPR) for 1 year. Depending on the course you wish to study you may not need this, but we would need to know the course you're wishing to study.

Thanks,
Claire
Reply 6
Original post by Claire SFE
Hi there,
We would only use Compelling Personals Reasons (CPR) for 1 year. Depending on the course you wish to study you may not need this, but we would need to know the course you're wishing to study.
Thanks,
Claire

Hi,

What would the case be if I left this year of study due to those compelling personal reasons? Does it still count as 2 years of previous study as I didn’t complete the second year?

Plus if my course entitled me to a “bonus” year for failing could I be covered for the 2 years even if I complete this year?

Also what if I pass this year? Can I still use compelling personal reasons to gain not funding to why I couldn’t continue into my top-up year, the course is being stopped completely after my year enters the top up.

Thanks
(edited 1 month ago)
Hi there,

If you were not to finish the year or did not pass the year due to Compelling Personal Reasons. You would need to submit a cover letter from yourself explaining why you couldn't with your studies and when it took place. We would also ask for for evidence from a 3rd party as well such as a GP. If you pass the year you would not be able to apply for Compelling Personal Reasons.

Thanks, Drew

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending