The Student Room Group

Starting university doubts/anxieties

I have been certain for years that I want to be a primary school teacher. I did an extra year at college to ensure I had the grades, plenty of experience and effort/preparation into my university interviews. I had five interview invites and offers from all of them. Got my grades and my place confirmed two weeks ago or so, happy days.

Now I am suddenly having thoughts that I don't know if teaching is for me. I love being in the school environment but I feel like its such a big step to be the class teacher and have all the responsibilities and this is what is worrying me. Planning, preparation, marking, etc, etc.. is all putting me off massively. I joined a Facebook group for teachers, which at first was helpful but has now caused this anxiety and worry for me.

I have emailed my university to ask if they would let me take a gap year should I decide to but I am yet to hear back. I am now seriously considering if a Primary Education degree and eventually career is for me. If I didn't go to university, I would hopefully work full time in a shop which I am content with for now.

Has anyone else had doubts like this? What did you do? How has it worked out?

I'm super stressed and have limited time left to decide either way once the university gets back to me. Thanks

Quick Reply

Latest