The Student Room Group

Why do most students choose to move when going uni

Scroll to see replies

Most will say "independence", although in my opinion it's really an illusion. Instead of being dependent on your parents, you're either dependent on the banking system/student loans, or the state.

Frying pan / fire.

And it costs even several £10 thousands more.

If something like it is really motivated by little more than giving one's parents the finger, then you'll be out of pocket for the rest of your life trying to prove equally pointless things to people in the future, and probably trying to prove something that is not even true anyway. Like 'one of those' people that drives a new BMW with a £5000 overdraft in their bank account, only because everyone sees the BMW, but no one sees the overdraft. I forgot the phrase for this. It might have been something like "credit card culture".

I live with parents. Yes, they can be controlling. I honestly just brush it off and do my thing regardless. Sometimes I compromise, provided they do too. After all, we do all benefit from this arrangement. They're old, too old to do some things around the house, and frankly too stingy to occasionally hire a cleaner. My father is the type to travel an extra 30 minutes on the bus just to buy lempsip tablets for 50p less from a pound store. Freedom pass is free for pensioners, I know, but time is also money. Anyway, I come in and fill in some of those gaps.

And I have enough money saved up by now thanks to this plan, that if shyt ever truly hits the fan and I do in fact have to move out, then I can do so with a plan in place instead of out of desperation paying debts off with more debts until I'm 40 and bald from stress.

Nothing against moving out. It's just doing so out of indignant rebelliousness against their parents doesn't really impress me whatsoever, since probably most people I've known that adopt this method have ended up broke as f** and relying on other people anyway. And most people I've spoken with on these topics seem to be motivated by precisely that. If you do it, do it with strategy, not out of emotional insecurity of some sort. Maybe it involves sharing flats, sacrificing other 'luxuries' in your life. Maybe... move out of the UK altogether, and travel back during holidays to work (since the pay tends to be so much better in the UK, whereas living expenses are much lower in most other countries). That's something I did for a short while. Universities in most EU countries are actually free as well, and many offer the same courses in English as well as the native language.
(edited 6 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending