The Student Room Group

Edexcel A2 Business Studies Official Thread 2017

Scroll to see replies

Original post by mrbr2671999
Banatynes is the only private mid market gym. Many of the others are public sector gyms with no brand.

ahh okay thank you
Original post by Foji
Cool bro you're great! And barry's bootcamp is a boutique, but all they do is allow flexibility by booking classes and discounts from their shop. How are they exactly 'niche'?

Posted from TSR Mobile

They're boutique and therefore niche because they don't heavily rely on machinery.

They focus on those people who are too rich to go to a low cost gym or those who are to timid to go to one. For example they focus on social aesthetics, so it's appealing to go to with a group of friends because it's less about gains and more about fun. Making it a niche because they are targeting a specific segment.
Reply 982
They're boutique and therefore niche because they don't heavily rely on machinery.

They focus on those people who are too rich to go to a low cost gym or those who are to timid to go to one. For example they focus on social aesthetics, so it's appealing to go to with a group of friends because it's less about gains and more about fun. Making it a niche because they are targeting a specific segment.

Can you give me an example on how they focus on social aesthetics? Is it said in their mission statement? Cheers bro

Posted from TSR Mobile
Only 7% of gyms in the UK are low cost. Just worked it out as there are 450 low cost gyms and a total of 6435
Original post by Foji
Can you give me an example on how they focus on social aesthetics? Is it said in their mission statement? Cheers bro

Posted from TSR Mobile

Take Barrecore. They don't have a massive gym that overwhelms customers. They place themself in a niche location in a building that looks like a private health club. They care about what the consumers feel and therefore try to make them more at ease by having studios and food etc. Typically theyvare only small classes and they encourage you to go with a friend.

It's not mentioned in the mission statement. It's just my analysis of the company.
As far as I know
Organic growth has been The Gym and Virgin Active

Inorganic has been DW, PureGym

They are main examples anyway even though PureGym has done both forms of growth
Original post by Adamconts
Only 7% of gyms in the UK are low cost. Just worked it out as there are 450 low cost gyms and a total of 6435

I just had a glance at the pie chart. 9℅ was pretty close :biggrin:
Reply 987
Take Barrecore. They don't have a massive gym that overwhelms customers. They place themself in a niche location in a building that looks like a private health club. They care about what the consumers feel and therefore try to make them more at ease by having studios and food etc. Typically theyvare only small classes and they encourage you to go with a friend.

It's not mentioned in the mission statement. It's just my analysis of the company.

Wicked, i'll use that bro! And what type of company is a gym that is owned by many family members? It's not a plc, nor a sole trader or a partnership as it's owned by a family of many..?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Foji
Wicked, i'll use that bro! And what type of company is a gym that is owned by many family members? It's not a plc, nor a sole trader or a partnership as it's owned by a family of many..?

Posted from TSR Mobile

It depends what you mean

If you mean that all the family members act as an owner it is technically still a partnership, as this just means 2+ owners. So i'd call it a complex partnership and then just explain that you mean it is owned by lots of people.

However if you mean that the family members own a share then it is an LTD
So who has failed that paper lol
What was that ehhh 😣
That was diabolical...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Anyone know any vacancy for pure gym I think I need to find the job because I won't be making to university now
Okay that financial and non financial question I thought i could have talked more but I couldn't . .. What was that factors that limit success was even about . .. last question was okay I think I got calculation correct and explained it well .... I felt so uncomf9rtable with the whole paper ... thank God I've done so well in paper 1 and paper 2
What calculations were meant for the last 20 marker, what did you have to put for the first trade off question and I ran out of time so many conclusions were really poor! Anyone else?
Original post by beanmaker
What calculations were meant for the last 20 marker, what did you have to put for the first trade off question and I ran out of time so many conclusions were really poor! Anyone else?

Same here, first time ever happened compare to paper 1 and paper 2 that I had to leave few bit on question and move on ... I hesitated a bit too .. I managed to come back and did conclusion but it was very bad ... for last calculation you had to calculation all ratio ( ratio analysis) and then talk about it ... the ratio showed it was performing not well but then I counterbalance it and said how they are similar in term did market segment they target so take over is likely to be more sides full ... no culture clash blah blah ... What a bad paper
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by jamesburke3129
who the **** are you do you want a ****ing scrap kid

People like you will ensure grade boundaries are low
Also what about that culture questions oh my god that paper was a killer ... hate my life
Original post by igotnomoney
Same here, first time ever happened compare to paper 1 and paper 2 that I had to leave few bit on question and move on ... I hesitated a bit too .. I managed to come back and did conclusion but it was very bad ... for last calculation you had to calculation all ratio ( ratio analysis) and then talk about it ... the ratio showed it was performing not well but then I counterbalance it and said how they are similar in term did market segment they target so take over is likely to be more sides full ... no culture clash blah blah ... What a bad paper

I only did the current ratio calculation which I included in my conclusion and just stated they were making a loss other than it I had to time
Original post by igotnomoney
Also what about that culture questions oh my god that paper was a killer ... hate my life

And the media campaign one, what was that about

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending