The Student Room Group

Contact lenses appointment

I was just wondering, what happens at your first contact lenses appointment?
Anyone? :smile:
Are we talking consultation or very first appointment to get them for the first time?

The consultations are basic check up. You're not allowed to purchase any new contact lenses if you're due for a consultation in case your prescription changes. They put a bit of orange dye on your eyes which will show up any scratches. You will also have a basic eye test. Nothing scary. You will be asked to attend wearing your contacts as they'll want to see how they sit on your eyes and then you will need to take them out.

As for the very first time, they will talk to you about how you expect to use your contact lenses and how often. They will advise against going swimming in them and being around people who smoke a lot.
Then they'll give you some to practice putting in after they've explained how. They will also tell you how to tell if it's inside out!

Stay calm, you pull up your upper lid and hold it there, look directly forward into the mirror and gently place the lens onto the eye. It might feel cold and sting a bit but make sure it's pushed onto the eye properly and then blink a few times.

It honestly gets easier as you go.
Don't be discouraged if you struggle at first, I used to have my eyes streaming every morning when I first got them and now it's easy I just pop them in.
I'm currently a daily lens wearer and have been for roughly the past 9 months.

The optometrist just had a look at my eyes and my prescription as well a giving my another eyes test. She used an orange dye (you don't feel it when they put it on your cornea) to see the health of my cornea and had a look at how my eyes produce tears. This determines what type of lenses you may be more suitable to wear.

She then went on to explain that I'll be trailing out 2 different lenses for my free trial to see which one suited my eyes more and of course the prices of the different lenses.
I also had a lesson with someone after the consultation to learn how to put in and take out the lenses. They guide you through it and make sure you can put them in and take them out yourself before you leave. It's a little fiddly at the start (I found putting them in much more difficult than taking them out) but you get the hang of it very quickly and by the end of the week I found it easy.

I went back 1 week later to have another check up and then decided on which lenses to go for. Honestly it's nothing to be anxious about, it's pretty chilled.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by PandaCalavera
Are we talking consultation or very first appointment to get them for the first time?

The consultations are basic check up. You're not allowed to purchase any new contact lenses if you're due for a consultation in case your prescription changes. They put a bit of orange dye on your eyes which will show up any scratches. You will also have a basic eye test. Nothing scary. You will be asked to attend wearing your contacts as they'll want to see how they sit on your eyes and then you will need to take them out.

As for the very first time, they will talk to you about how you expect to use your contact lenses and how often. They will advise against going swimming in them and being around people who smoke a lot.
Then they'll give you some to practice putting in after they've explained how. They will also tell you how to tell if it's inside out!

Stay calm, you pull up your upper lid and hold it there, look directly forward into the mirror and gently place the lens onto the eye. It might feel cold and sting a bit but make sure it's pushed onto the eye properly and then blink a few times.

It honestly gets easier as you go.
Don't be discouraged if you struggle at first, I used to have my eyes streaming every morning when I first got them and now it's easy I just pop them in.

100 percent accurate!

Quick Reply

Latest