The Student Room Group

4A*s at A level anyone???

Anyone who got 4A*s at A level write down which subjects you did and expand on how much work you really did and revision techniques.
Sorry you've not had any responses about this. :frown: Are you sure you've posted in the right place? :smile: Here's a link to our subject forum which should help get you more responses if you post there. :redface:

You can also find the Exam Thread list for A-levels here and GCSE here. :dumbells:

Just quoting in Fox Corner so she can move the thread if needed :h:

Spoiler

I got 4A*s in maths, bio, Chem and physics (plus an A in AS F maths)
Maths:
Not too much revision or work as it was more of a natural talent, probably about 1 hr homework a week, which was excersises from the book and I would high reccomend you take your time and do them all even the remedial repetitive ones as they really drill in the basic knowledge.
Exam solutions for topics for find hard even if they're boring af, then vitally past papers.
Sit them as exams and mark them as an examiner- be harsh and note down some different methods you like if you see them in the MS. Aim for 95%+ in every paper and repeat ones you miss this on; with a gap so you're not just spewing out memory.
For FM take a look at the fmsp videos and really try understand the content.
I'd say a past paper every week 3 months before exam then 2/3 a week 1 month and then as many as possible in a day a week before and until.
Chemistry:
Learn all the preparations off by heart, use flash cards and cover repeat method for this, blindly learn it word for word. For colour changes and colours (must of had like 100 for CCEA Chem) flash cards all the way, sit down and go through the cards until you can do it without fail, regularly.
Leave past papers closer to exam and put preference on revising content until 1 month before and bang out all the past papers at like 3/4 a week. Use examiners reports on any paper you found overly hard and see where you are relative to others. Simmilary set a target and repeat papers you miss that target with for any subject.
Physics:
Most are blessed with amazing grade boundaries for this so I didn't put too much effort in and rarely did homework, but I did write out notes occasionally and did a4 pages on each topic of key ideas.
Good notes in class are essential and cover topics until you feel you know exactly what's going on in this.
Hit past papers early and 1 a week 3 months away, similarly to maths and continue like that. Examiners reports are a lot more important here as are markschemes, take detailed notes down on papers when you're marking them to learn from mistakes.
Write out model answers for all the essays using the MS and include every bullet point.
Biology:
All about understanding, longer questions are quite repetitive so make sure you have the things like 'outline the process of transcription' learnt off. The Text book is important here read it entirely a few times and make condensed notes of topics. Try visualising a lot of the smaller stuff and run through like a animation on your head and it should help (e.g. With the clotting process)
Past papers are very important as always - do them all and leave for towards exam. I did a lot of work for biology, perhaps 1-2 hours a week during year and far more towards the exam. Applied questions usually centre around key concepts so if you can spot trends then think of ways that can be applied (e.g. Ways of identifying genetically transformed organisms).
Write out model essays using markscheme and include every point, think outside the box in essays and have your teacher read over more original thoughts. Draft your own essays base on predictions and draw up a model MS for it, ask teacher for help. Leave a gap an do these essays.

Quick Reply

Latest