The Student Room Group

Should I take a gap year?

I was predicted 4A*s in Maths,Physics,FM,Econ, and achieved A* in EPQ. However, I got 4 rejections from LSE, Cambridge, UCL and Durham for economics. But an offer for Bristol economics. I am confident that I will achieve 4A*s so should I take a gap year or take the Bristol offer?
Reply 1
Original post by JFK11365877
I was predicted 4A*s in Maths,Physics,FM,Econ, and achieved A* in EPQ. However, I got 4 rejections from LSE, Cambridge, UCL and Durham for economics. But an offer for Bristol economics. I am confident that I will achieve 4A*s so should I take a gap year or take the Bristol offer?

Take Bristol. It's a great uni and I assume you picked it for reason. They are all highly competitive universities, especially for Economics, so there is no guarantee you would do better next year. You might even end up with zero offers.
Reply 2
Original post by JFK11365877

depends what you want to do after the degree, if IB then obviously getting into a target would help you. But Bristol is a solid semi-target and many get into IB from Bristol. The targets are super competitive for economics and many people such as myself with 4A* achieved do get rejected by them, expect that your competition for a place at these universities are all students at similar academic calibre (especially with grade inflation) and you might end up with 0 offers next year if you apply to all top universities.

If you were to take a gap year make sure it’s worthwhile and productive. Otherwise going to Bristol and getting a first will set you up really nicely, your job prospects will majorly depend on what you do outside of university and networking etc.

You can always try for a masters at a top institution after your degree if you get a 1st at Bristol. That would really make your academics surpass many applicants for top financial roles in top firms.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending