The Student Room Group

Drama School Applications for 2017 entry.

Scroll to see replies

I just sent off my applications for East 15 and Guildford/Surrey! I'm so excited! I hope to work on the rest of my applications after the holidays. For now, I will get started on my monologues for the auditions coming up in January-March. Fingers crossed that I do well!
Good luck to everyone auditioning for drama school entry in 2017 and remember to check out the work of the school, their alumni employment/industry retention figures which they SHOULD be posting online publicly (but very few do...) If they are not able to share the successes or otherwise of their students do feel entitled to probe or ask questions at your audition. Fourth Monkey has a graduate employment rate of 96% for their 2015 graduate year (2016 figures still being compiled) all displayed on the website in an annual report. You need to know where you are going to go, what work you are going to do and most importantly how sustainable your career is likely to be and you MUST feel entitled to ask, after all it is your money you are spending and you want to know how good an investment you are making. Look at the facts basically and find the right home for your training. Best of luck and enjoy the process too!
oooh my first auditions are getting closer!! Very nervous as my first one is at the place id most love to go but there we go??? !
Good luck everyone!!

I had my GSA Audition a couple of weeks ago, unfortunately didn't get in but they were so lovely and offered me a place on a different course! One of the nicest auditions I've done, with the most lovely teachers on the panel.

Has anyone auditioned for Man Met? I am going to apply but don't know anyone who has and I'd like to know what it's like!

Reply 44
Hi, I'm new in the discussion. I'm a foreign student and I'm auditioning at LAMDA for the 2yr course in acting. I'm 22 years old and I wondered if you have some advice for me about the classical plays? In my country, we do not learn as much about Shakespeare and the Elizabethan and Jacobean eras and that's what LAMDA asks about. So I wondered which pieces or monologues are not done, since they are to popular and overdone? I'm freaking out a bit, since this is so important to me!
Reply 45
I was also wondering. I read in older discussions that a lot of schools ask for more monologues than the ones you have to prepare, is this true? Because I only have prepared what they asked. Not because of laziness, but in my country, it's a waste of time to prepare more than what they ask, because that's all they want to see.

Another question I have is about LAMDA as a school. In my country you have schools that are known for their classical approach (the greeks, etc.) and others for their very experimental approach or for their focus on movement or their focus on texts, etc. I wondered how this works in the U.K.? And, more specifically, what about LAMDA?

I do hope I get some answers!
Original post by lauracmckayxo
Good luck everyone!!

I had my GSA Audition a couple of weeks ago, unfortunately didn't get in but they were so lovely and offered me a place on a different course! One of the nicest auditions I've done, with the most lovely teachers on the panel.

Has anyone auditioned for Man Met? I am going to apply but don't know anyone who has and I'd like to know what it's like!

I'm going to be doing international auditions with GSA either in January or February. Can you tell me what the auditions were like? How long were they? How did you present your monologues? Did the panel offer feedback? How long was the response time from the audition?

Any answers to these would be extremely helpful since I want to do the best I can at my audition. Thanks!
Original post by lauracmckayxo
Good luck everyone!!

Well done :smile: And yes I auditioned twice for Man Met and I blogged about my experience with them last year on https://aspiringactresssite.wordpress.com so check it out :smile:

I didn't get a place at Man Met unfortunately but I managed to get into the BA at LAMDA and I've blogged all about those auditions too, so that could be helpful :smile:

Best of luck!

AA x
Man Met is a good school, with a decent track record in producing professional talent, however as with all schools you want to really get a sense of the sort of training that is on offer and the sort of actor you are looking to be in many respects. Your training environment should always feel like your home from home in our opinion, no matter where it is, a place whereby you can fail and soar in safety, comfort and surrounded by the right support. It has to be about the right school not any school or course. Did you audition to do the other course (Foundation presumably) at GSA? If not, therefore why would you accept it. The fit has to be right for both parties, you need to accept the school and the course as much as the other way around, I know this is a hard concept to buy into when you are auditioning in such a competitive market place but hold your nerve and focus on where you want to go and the courses you really want to do. We have students who are training with us at Fourth Monkey who only auditioned here for example and it may have taken them two years to gain a place, this I'm sure is the same in every actor training school, but those places are so much more worthwhile than ending up somewhere where you were 'fortunate' enough for someone to like your audition enough to say yes. Basically, hold your nerve and do as much research and prospectus reading as you possibly can to find the right courses for you. Go see shows, open days, open workshops, ask questions and get a real sense of the options open to you. You may find your gem home somewhere where you haven't even knocked on the door yet. Good luck, be bold, believe in yourself and above all else be honest with yourself and your ambitions.
It's been a while since I've been on here, but hi everyone!

On a full-time Foundation course at the moment, so got a nice idea of what drama school is like now! :smile:
So, second year auditioning...

- LAMDA
- ALRA
- ArtsEd
- Guildhall
- GSA
- Drama Centre
- Central
- LIPA

Quite different to last years auditions for me.

How's it going for people?
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 50
I'm from Croatia, applying as well to the UK drama schools and would be up for the fb chat as well!
Original post by EliseJH
I was also wondering. I read in older discussions that a lot of schools ask for more monologues than the ones you have to prepare, is this true? Because I only have prepared what they asked. Not because of laziness, but in my country, it's a waste of time to prepare more than what they ask, because that's all they want to see.

Another question I have is about LAMDA as a school. In my country you have schools that are known for their classical approach (the greeks, etc.) and others for their very experimental approach or for their focus on movement or their focus on texts, etc. I wondered how this works in the U.K.? And, more specifically, what about LAMDA?

I do hope I get some answers!

A school will not expect you to learn more than they have asked. HOWEVER it shows a great deal about you if you are able to exceed their expectations and offer them a choice. Most students will only have the amount of monologues the school have asked for (Two or Three) exceptional students will be able to offer the panel a choice (Four or Five).
I have sat in on auditions before and I can't count the amount of times a candidate has been asked "Do you have anything else you can show me?". When candidates say no it doesn't harm there chances of getting in the school (After all they came with the correct number of monologues required) however when a candidate says yes they have learnt an extra one or two , it really makes them shine.
Guys I just realised that Central School does not oblige you to learn two speeches from their classical list any more!!!
On the website it says " For inspiration, we have published indicative classical speech lists below, *however it is not compulsory that you select from these lists*". That wasn't there last year o.O
This is shocking because this list has been there for years and I'm almost sure until last year it read "you must learn two speeches from the list ".
I'm so happy for some reason lol

Can anyone else confirm they are seeing this ??
Original post by ThanosTsar
Guys I just realised that Central School does not oblige you to learn two speeches from their classical list any more!!!
On the website it says " For inspiration, we have published indicative classical speech lists below, *however it is not compulsory that you select from these lists*". That wasn't there last year o.O
This is shocking because this list has been there for years and I'm almost sure until last year it read "you must learn two speeches from the list ".

I see it too!

As well as this: all candidates should feel free to choose speeches for either male or female characters :O
Original post by ThanosTsar

Is it just for BA auditions or can it be also used for MA auditions? I'm applying for the MA in Acting (Classical) program, and have already chosen my two monologues. It would be a big plus if I didn't have to learn another one!
Original post by queenofpeace
I see it too!

As well as this: all candidates should feel free to choose speeches for either male or female characters :O

That's a big revelation !! These lists have been there for like 30 years with the same speeches...wow finally freedom
We've been doing this ever since we began training actors... they are following the trend which is to be celebrated, but under pressure from the arts community as a whole, the movement is a large and vocal one now which is great, and rightly so. But we do it because we believe in it. New and different voices. All voices, and heard in new and exciting ways. That's a philosophy and conviction in some schools, ours included, it's great the established conservatoires are following the current trend, but for real change in the arts it has to be more earnest than a trend and has to be indicative of real change. Time will tell. But at least we are now moving in the right direction it would appear. Out of the dark ages. Thankfully, yes women can play men, glad we're catching on!! Best of luck to everyone with their auditions.
Hi everyone! This is my first year of applying to drama schools and I'm currently doing my A levels. So far I've had auditions at ALRA, ArtsEd, BSA and Mountview. I had my recall for ArtsEd today and I've got a recall for BSA later this month and I've got an offer from ALRA!! I wasn't expecting an offer for a BA course at all this year, maybe just a foundation and I definitely wasn't expecting one so early. Does anyone have a preference between ALRA and ArtsEd and why? I'm not sure what I'd do if I was lucky enough to get an offer from ArtsEd too. I love them both and I liked BSA too but I think I would prefer to be in London. Thanks :smile:
Original post by blondvirgo
Hi everyone! This is my first year of applying to drama schools and I'm currently doing my A levels. So far I've had auditions at ALRA, ArtsEd, BSA and Mountview. I had my recall for ArtsEd today and I've got a recall for BSA later this month and I've got an offer from ALRA!! I wasn't expecting an offer for a BA course at all this year, maybe just a foundation and I definitely wasn't expecting one so early. Does anyone have a preference between ALRA and ArtsEd and why? I'm not sure what I'd do if I was lucky enough to get an offer from ArtsEd too. I love them both and I liked BSA too but I think I would prefer to be in London. Thanks :smile:

Well done! :smile:

I'm on the foundation course at ALRA, so if you want to ask anything about that feel free!
Hi!
Just wondering, do you guys think (or know) whether it takes longer for Acting applicants to be processed (MMU)? I only ask because I've heard MMU takes around 4-6 weeks on average and, including max 3 auditions, that time scale seems a bit long.

Honestly, more than anything I'm just super nervous. MMU is the only one I've applied to (I just love everything I've heard and read about their course), and if I don't get in I'll be really upset. I put off applying for years so that I could gather that all-important life experience, and now I'm worried that there might not be enough time left! Haha. Sorry, bit of a life-story.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending