The Student Room Group

Drama School Applications for 2017 entry.

Scroll to see replies

I also meant to ask, do you guys perform your monologues to the audience, or to the invisible 'other person', like you would in a play? Mine all travel from stage left to stage right (or vice-Versa) and I am starting to worry a bit about whether I should travel upstage to downstage.
Original post by cytja_0288
Is it just for BA auditions or can it be also used for MA auditions? I'm applying for the MA in Acting (Classical) program, and have already chosen my two monologues. It would be a big plus if I didn't have to learn another one!

I'm not sure to be honest but from what I read under the MA Acting course page, they want you to perform two speeches (1 classical, 1 modern) of you choice and be prepared to be re-directed. Read here https://www.cssd.ac.uk/course/acting-classical-ma
Currently doing A-Levels and applying for BA Acting at:

Bristol Old Vic
East 15
Royal Welsh College (...)
ManMet
Birmingham School of Acting
Arts University Bournemouth

If anyone has any tips about drama schools or experiences at these, feel free to let me know as I'd appreciate it!
I urgently need advice from you lot!

This is my second year auditioning to drama schools. I'm adding the final bits on my personal statement. But I'm a bit stuck... Should I mention that I auditioned last year and didn't get in or will it put the reader off ? I'm confuse because you have to explain what you did between last year and now to improve as an actor and why...please HELP
Original post by ThanosTsar
I'm not sure to be honest but from what I read under the MA Acting course page, they want you to perform two speeches (1 classical, 1 modern) of you choice and be prepared to be re-directed. Read here https://www.cssd.ac.uk/course/acting-classical-ma

That's what I thought I saw on the site. I just wanted to make sure it didn't change. Thanks for the info!
I urgently need advice from you lot!

This is my second year auditioning to drama schools. I'm adding the final bits on my personal statement. But I'm a bit stuck... Should I mention that I auditioned last year and didn't get in or will it put the reader off ? I'm confuse because you have to explain what you did between last year and now to improve as an actor and why...please HELP

Do they even read those statements for acting courses? I mean, if a few thousand people apply, and the audition part is the most important... maybe on the later stages, or if they aren't sure whether to invite someone for the recall...

By the way, I don't think it would put the reader off, on the contrary, it shows your dedication and that this is what you want and that you won't give up :smile:
Original post by queenofpeace
Do they even read those statements for acting courses? I mean, if a few thousand people apply, and the audition part is the most important... maybe on the later stages, or if they aren't sure whether to invite someone for the recall...

By the way, I don't think it would put the reader off, on the contrary, it shows your dedication and that this is what you want and that you won't give up :smile:

You're right ! They probably read them after a recall or before making the final students choice. The actual audition is definitely the determinant for accepting a candidate.

It actually fits well with my story to mention that after my first attempt it made me work harder for what I want so I'll add that ! Thanks =D
First year auditioning for meeee. Got my LAMDA audition coming up, anyone else applied to AADA in LA or New York - thats the one I really want!!!
To anyone who has applied to Guildhall School of Music and Drama.
Why are they asking in the application if you have applied to any other institutions for 2017 entry AND then list the drama schools you've applied to ??
My first ever audition for the acting program at Guildford is coming up in a week, and I could use a lot of help! I know both of my monologues by heart, and I'm going to do further research and emotional preparation for both characters I'm portraying this week. But what I really need help with is what to wear to the auditions. I'm seeing differing answers on this topic: some say to wear casual clothes, others say business casual, and others say dress up. Can anyone help me out here????

Also, I'm a US student auditioning in New York from 11:45 AM -12:00 PM that day, and if there is anyone who has auditioned for Guildford before who can tell me what to expect in the audition room, I'd greatly appreciate that, too!
My first ever audition for the acting program at Guildford is coming up in a week, and I could use a lot of help! I know both of my monologues by heart, and I'm going to do further research and emotional preparation for both characters I'm portraying this week. But what I really need help with is what to wear to the auditions. I'm seeing differing answers on this topic: some say to wear casual clothes, others say business casual, and others say dress up. Can anyone help me out here????

Also, I'm a US student auditioning in New York from 11:45 AM -12:00 PM that day, and if there is anyone who has auditioned for Guildford before who can tell me what to expect in the audition room, I'd greatly appreciate that, too!

Don't ever dress up. Just wear comfortable clothing you can move in. Also, avoid anything with a logo, pattern, or writing on. Black is your safest bet.

Which course are you auditioning for?

I would wear black. The last thing you want is your clothing choice affecting how your audition is viewed. If you feel comfortable in leggings, wear them. If you prefer looser clothes, wear those instead. Make sure your shoes won't fall off your feet (I.e- dolly shoes) and make sure they are flat. Try to wear shoes that don't slip easily. Keep it simple, and make sure you feel comfortable.

Are you auditioning for AADA at all?
Original post by PAStudent1996
Don't ever dress up. Just wear comfortable clothing you can move in. Also, avoid anything with a logo, pattern, or writing on. Black is your safest bet.

Which course are you auditioning for?

I'm auditioning for the MA Acting course at Guildford.
Original post by Josiefalk7
Are you auditioning for AADA at all?

No, I'm not auditioning for AADA. I'm auditioning for Guildford, LAMDA, East 15, Mountview, and Central.
Original post by AgentScully
I would wear black. The last thing you want is your clothing choice affecting how your audition is viewed. If you feel comfortable in leggings, wear them. If you prefer looser clothes, wear those instead. Make sure your shoes won't fall off your feet (I.e- dolly shoes) and make sure they are flat. Try to wear shoes that don't slip easily. Keep it simple, and make sure you feel comfortable.

I'm planning on wearing a dark purple sweater dress with leggings and flats to the audition. Is that okay?
When's everyone's LAMDA auditions?
Original post by JosieFalk
When's everyone's LAMDA auditions?

Applying now ! How many days/weeks did you have until your audition date after you applied ?
(edited 7 years ago)
Anyone else applied for RWCMD?
Applying now ! How many days/weeks did you have until your audition date after you applied ?

They gave me just over a month :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending