The Student Room Group

Drama School Applications for 2017 entry.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by JosieFalk
When's everyone's LAMDA auditions?

I'm also still applying, but I'm shooting for March when they're in New York.
Original post by Josiefalk7
They gave me just over a month :smile:

Last year they gave me almost two months, but that may be because I provided them with quite a list of dates for which I wasn't sure if I'd be available on :wink:
Original post by cytja_0288
I'm planning on wearing a dark purple sweater dress with leggings and flats to the audition. Is that okay?

Don't wear a dress. Get leggings or joggers and a top. Keep it simple.
Got an offer from ArtsEd today! So happy! :smile:
Original post by Dramastudent'15
Don't wear a dress. Get leggings or joggers and a top. Keep it simple.

Thanks for the advice! It might be a little bit chilly for a dress anyway. But thank you so much for your input! It really helps out a lot... :smile:
Reply 85
Hi guys! I'm applying for RADA, LAMDA, MMU, Central, Bristol and UAL. So far, I've gotten recalls for RADA and MMU, and got a second first round at LAMDA, still have first rounds coming up for the other three. Would love to talk, and share experiences with you guys, I've found it helps a lot! Also, I'm currently at East 15 on the foundation so if any one is considering it, I'd be happy to help!
Original post by QKate
Hi guys! I'm applying for RADA, LAMDA, MMU, Central, Bristol and UAL. So far, I've gotten recalls for RADA and MMU, and got a second first round at LAMDA, still have first rounds coming up for the other three. Would love to talk, and share experiences with you guys, I've found it helps a lot! Also, I'm currently at East 15 on the foundation so if any one is considering it, I'd be happy to help!

Great! Congrats!! :biggrin:

You can take out a loan for the foundation at East 15, right?
But do you know if you can also take out a loan for BA later?
Reply 87
Original post by queenofpeace
Great! Congrats!! :biggrin:

You can take out a loan for the foundation at East 15, right?
But do you know if you can also take out a loan for BA later?

Thanks! And yeah you can, and you get four years worth of government undergraduate funding so you can do the foundation and BA with full funding.
Original post by QKate
Thanks! And yeah you can, and you get four years worth of government undergraduate funding so you can do the foundation and BA with full funding.

Thanks very much!
Original post by QKate

Hello For East 15, do you remember what date your audition day was around? Because I'm applying at Loughton this year and they have it on 25th January, on the application form (auditions section in their website). However I still need to prepare for my monologues, just wondering would they email me by giving their preferred date like later in February?
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 90
Original post by pgurung20
Hello For East 15, do you remember what date your audition day was around? Because I'm applying at Loughton this year and they have it on 25th January, on the application form (auditions section in their website). However I still need to prepare for my monologues, just wondering would they email me by giving their preferred date like later in February?

Mine was at the end of March so they definitely let you audition later, also the tutors say that if you're not ready, they will always reschedule for you. Hope that helps!
So, my audition on Monday was not for Surrey, but for East 15. (Long story short: I misinterpreted the email with the date of the audition for a different university. Thankfully, nobody minded my mistake, so it was okay!) It went very well; I auditioned for the head of the MA in Acting (International) department, and he was very funny and nice! I performed both of my monologues, and then we worked on one of them for a little bit before he had to move on to the next person. One of the things that stood out for me is that he told me that I was a passionate performer. For someone who hasn't been in school for over five years and only started acting again last summer, that makes me feel great! I hope to keep up the momentum of the passion I put into my performances for the remaining auditions...
Original post by QKate

Hey, I had a second first round with LAMDA and now i have a recall from them :smile: Good luck.
I just got my audition date for MMU. Very nervous, still need to polish third monologue. I'm not sure I like it so I kind of want to change it, but with my audition in 2 weeks I'm not sure I should.
Two weeks should be plenty, and if you have something in mind that excites you perhaps it may well be preferable. Additionally, it will be fresh and less rehearsed and as such easier to rework and probably fresher for the panel to see too. Good luck with your auditions and please do check out the Fourth Monkey prospectus too! fourthmonkey.co.uk
Reply 95
Original post by AgentScully
I just got my audition date for MMU. Very nervous, still need to polish third monologue. I'm not sure I like it so I kind of want to change it, but with my audition in 2 weeks I'm not sure I should.

Don't worry, they never ask for it in the first round.
Reply 96
Original post by ruthy1700
Hey, I had a second first round with LAMDA and now i have a recall from them :smile: Good luck.

Thanks! And well done! Good luck with your recall!
Reply 97
Hey guys, I started a blog about my auditions if anyone wants to check it out! It's dramaschool2017blog . wordpress.com.
Also, I was wondering does anyone know any methods on focusing in auditions, like sometimes no matter how hard I try I just can't focus and my speeches falter as a result.
Hi guys! I'm new to this student room thing so hopefully this post work out (haha)

I've been applying for MA courses mainly for 2017 entry. This is my first time auditioning for drama schools - it's a bit scary.

I've had flat out rejections from guildhall and central. I wasn't expecting any different but it still hurts ya know? 🙈 I still have auditions at Royal Welsh, RCS and I have been asked to do a second first round audition at LAMDA which I was surprised about after my dreadful audition, I hope I can battle the nerves for that one.

I've been offered at place on the MA acting at East 15 and put on the reserve for the MA acting at GSA (not sure how I feel about that but I do know that's better than a rejection). I'm thinking of applying to drama centre and arts ed and maybe MountView as well... I know, a lot! Again - 🙈. Just wondering what people's thought are? Am I being ridiculous and spending too much money or is this all good experience and the more the merrier? I find it really hard to know what a school or a course may be like until I go and see the school and meet people and audition so it's so hard to decide where to audition just from reading about the courses online.

Also I feel fairly downhearted that the likes of central and guildhall didn't want to know me, I see lots of people being offered recalls which is amazing but it's made my mind do little flips of self doubt and am I good enough for this drama school malarkey? Does anyone else get like this or am I just a silly one?

Thanks guys, hope everyone's auditions are going really well! 😀
Original post by Aogdend6
Hi guys! I'm new to this student room thing so hopefully this post work out (haha)

I've been applying for MA courses mainly for 2017 entry. This is my first time auditioning for drama schools - it's a bit scary.

I've had flat out rejections from guildhall and central. I wasn't expecting any different but it still hurts ya know? 🙈 I still have auditions at Royal Welsh, RCS and I have been asked to do a second first round audition at LAMDA which I was surprised about after my dreadful audition, I hope I can battle the nerves for that one.

I've been offered at place on the MA acting at East 15 and put on the reserve for the MA acting at GSA (not sure how I feel about that but I do know that's better than a rejection). I'm thinking of applying to drama centre and arts ed and maybe MountView as well... I know, a lot! Again - 🙈. Just wondering what people's thought are? Am I being ridiculous and spending too much money or is this all good experience and the more the merrier? I find it really hard to know what a school or a course may be like until I go and see the school and meet people and audition so it's so hard to decide where to audition just from reading about the courses online.

Also I feel fairly downhearted that the likes of central and guildhall didn't want to know me, I see lots of people being offered recalls which is amazing but it's made my mind do little flips of self doubt and am I good enough for this drama school malarkey? Does anyone else get like this or am I just a silly one?

Thanks guys, hope everyone's auditions are going really well! 😀

Between you and me, this is my very first time auditioning for drama schools as well, and it's scary! I had to slice my choices from six to three because of finances and the timing of the auditions, but my top three are LAMDA, East 15, and Drama Studio London. All of which are for MA programs as well. I'm from the US, but I've been wanting to go back to school for five years now to learn more about the craft and hone my technique.

I've only had one so far, and it was for East 15. The man I auditioned for was very nice and helpful throughout my monologues, and complimented on my passion for acting. This made me feel good, and I hope it results in a positive response from East 15 between my audition and my application. I'm going to be finishing up my applications for LAMDA and Drama Studio London over the next few weeks, and I have to replace one of my monologues with a more renowned playwright because one of them is not as well known. Let me tell you - the whole process is daunting and frustrating because there is so much you have to prove, not just online through the application, but also through the audition. You have to literally give all you have to prove you are willing and able to study at the school. I've had only five auditions outside of college since my graduation five years ago, and only one of them ended up being successful. It's disheartening to be rejected, and this is coming from someone who is very sensitive. I've been told to toughen up my skin, which is a little bit hard to do. But I've also been told to be resilient, which is more doable because the important thing that matters after a disappointment is how we get back up and try again instead of giving up. I would rather keep getting back up and try again than stay on the ground crying. The same applies to you as well. This business is not easy at all, but it's our resilience that makes us stronger, and not giving up doing what makes us the most happy.

It's perfectly normal to doubt your capabilities, but what's extremely important is having a strong support system that believes in you and wants you to be happy. I've got quite a network of people who want me to succeed and be happy, and I would rather be happy in my work instead of working just for money. You're not the least bit silly at all! I think it's wonderful you're doing this, and I encourage you not to give up at all.

Feel free to talk to me anytime you want. We can be each other's buddies as we go through auditions for the first time together...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending