The Student Room Group

Am I missing something?

So for a long time now I have been considering studying in The Netherlands.

However, due to some research into how I will be able to afford this I have come to the conclusion that I may not be able to.

Here is what I have came up with, please help me add to this if possible.

Tuition fees covered by the government
My rent 'could' be covered by my parents
This leave a huge deficit for everything else
I should be able to get a part time job but it doesnt seem feasible to rely on that in a foriegn country for the first year at least
If I studied in the UK it would be very easy with the mantainance loan but that isnt available
Would I have to get bank loans?
You aren't really missing anything.

You might be able to get a grant - check out www.grantfinder.nl. Regarding rent you might be apply to get huurtoeslaag (spelt with one 'a' but TSR censors it), which is a rent benefit. If you scroll to the bottom of this page - http://studyinholland.co.uk/accommodation.html - you can read more about it. Some students save a little, some students save over a hundred euros per month. Unfortunately, however, you won't be able to get this straight away. Jobs are possible, but like you said you can't rely on getting one. However, if you do manage it, and you also manage to work over 56 hours per month (no mean feat if you're studying full-time), you're eligible for a maintenance loan from the Dutch government. Oh, and I have heard a rumour about private bank loans, but I'm not sure about that...
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending