The Student Room Group

Uncertainty about going to university

I've always been so unsure of what to do with my life. I dropped out of applying to university last minute because I feared that it wasn't what I wanted to do, and the course I was going to choose just didn't feel right. I then decided to take a 'gap year'. I am currently on said 'gap year' and my plans were to travel and go to university next year.

However, my plans have drastically changed which is fine. I am about to start a career in cabin crew in February which is exciting, and it's something that I have wanted to do, so when this opportunity arose I didn't want to say no.

However, I know this is something I don't want to do forever. I have big aspirations to work in the business sector and do business management, social media management or events management, or something like that, it's always appealed to me a cooperate environment, but I feel like I have completely missed out on the university experience and it's just too late.

I did think about the apprenticeship route and possibly moving away to do an apprenticeship once my cabin crew contract finished.

Does anyone else have this constant uncertainty on whether whatever they're doing is right or if they are on the right path, or if they should be doing something else? I can never pinpoint what I want and it's incredibly frustrating.

I do apologize for the rant but thank you if you listened to this haha.
Original post by harry3071
I've always been so unsure of what to do with my life. I dropped out of applying to university last minute because I feared that it wasn't what I wanted to do, and the course I was going to choose just didn't feel right. I then decided to take a 'gap year'. I am currently on said 'gap year' and my plans were to travel and go to university next year.

However, my plans have drastically changed which is fine. I am about to start a career in cabin crew in February which is exciting, and it's something that I have wanted to do, so when this opportunity arose I didn't want to say no.

However, I know this is something I don't want to do forever. I have big aspirations to work in the business sector and do business management, social media management or events management, or something like that, it's always appealed to me a cooperate environment, but I feel like I have completely missed out on the university experience and it's just too late.

I did think about the apprenticeship route and possibly moving away to do an apprenticeship once my cabin crew contract finished.

Does anyone else have this constant uncertainty on whether whatever they're doing is right or if they are on the right path, or if they should be doing something else? I can never pinpoint what I want and it's incredibly frustrating.

Hi @harry3071,

I am in my third year of uni graduating this year and I feel uncertain all the time if what I am studying is right. Similarly loads of people go to uni/graduate every year with no plans of what to do next so you are not alone. You're doing better then me and some of my friends currently because you actually have a job lined up to start!
I would like to stress that you definitely haven't missed out on going to uni. Loads of mature students apply to undergraduate degrees and they can be any age. Joining a year or two later then everyone else wont effect anything.
Being part of a cabin crew for now sounds very exciting! You are doing the right thing taking opportunities like that when they come along :smile:

Best wishes,
Eloise (Lancaster University Student Ambassador)
Reply 2
Original post by harry3071

Yeah SAME. i did my a levels all in sciences because at the time i thought thats what i wanted to do. BOY WAS I WRONG. NOW i am writing a book in my spare time and for years (5) i have been working on my art, self taught and everything. I realised quite late that my talent and proficiences lie in the arts and not in the sciences but now i am also going uni for a biological sciences degree so i can do conservation which is genuinely something i want to do. Before this my weeks after results day i was like "damn what do i wanna do." thing is in life we always changing paths and you and i are really still damn young. Our paths will always change and such, my uni isnt the best ranked but im willing to give it a try, a degreee is a degree and i wanna make new friends and such. I was also considering an apprenticeship in hairdressing! Coorperate man, ive worked there, been there done that it aint for me, i wanna move around. I do constantly feel like that though, worried about if my decisions are good or worth it. In the end we can only do what is right for us, if there is doubt then weigh the advantages and disadvantages. Life doesnt wait which is annoying but yeah. Plus the uni experience i feel may be overrated. In life you will make equally as important friends whether through work or whatever, go explore town, social media whatever world be our oyster!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending