The Student Room Group

is extra curriculum for more ucas points with it

i was going to do some extra curriculum activities, one was EPQ, essay based independent assessment one something of our choice which could be worth around 70 Lucas points, and smcs which is basically some RE thing you have to do for the first year, are they wroth doing or should i focus on my alevles which are english, history and sociology
Reply 1
Original post by Will.A2017
i was going to do some extra curriculum activities, one was EPQ, essay based independent assessment one something of our choice which could be worth around 70 Lucas points, and smcs which is basically some RE thing you have to do for the first year, are they wroth doing or should i focus on my alevles which are english, history and sociology

You should learn English first. You're not even GCSE level.
Original post by Juno

I guess OP should either go back to school or pick Maths, Further maths, Physics and Chemistry if he/she wants to stand a chance of getting reasonably decent grades.
Reply 3
Original post by Juno

I mean yeah, couple of spelling errors that I forgot to check which were probably due to a bad autocorrect or just my hand slipping and accidentally clicking a wrong key on my keyboard should mean I'm not even at GCSE level. But just letting you know, I got an A* in English at GCSE level, so I think you will find I am perfectly qualified to be doing A-level.
Reply 4
I mean yeah, couple of spelling errors that I forgot to check which were probably due to a bad autocorrect or just my hand slipping and accidentally clicking a wrong key on my keyboard should mean I'm not even at GCSE level. But just letting you know, I got an A* in English at GCSE level, so I think you will find I am perfectly qualified to be doing A-level.

Yeah, everyone makes that as an excuse.
this guy is the sort of person to come on a student chat room to ask questions and when people respond they make up lies.....

oh wait
Reply 6
Original post by Juno
Yeah, everyone makes that as an excuse.

Are you seriously going to start an argument, really? I just wanted my question answered XD. if you don't believe what I got in my GCSEs just because of a couple of typo errors thats not my problem, I don't care XD.
Reply 7
Are you seriously going to start an argument, really? I just wanted my question answered XD. if you don't believe what I got in my GCSEs just because of a couple of typo errors thats not my problem, I don't care XD.

It's not starting an argument. You're genuinely not the level you claim you are, so I have advised you get extra tuition until you are. You need more lessons, and then when you have achieved a GCSE in English you can then move on. You might end up a year or two behind, but you'll actually have basic English skills.
i was going to do some extra curricular activities, one was EPQ, essay based independent assessment one something of our choice which could be worth around 70 UCAS points, and smcs which is basically some RE thing you have to do for the first year, are they worth doing or should i focus on my alevles which are english, history and sociology

EPQs aren't that hard and look good on your application if you complete one and get a decent grade in it. Maybe do a couple of hours on it each week and you should be done fairly quick. My college didn't do them but if you have the choice I'd go for it.

Not sure what you mean by "something of our choice", and not sure what "smcs" is.
Reply 9
Original post by Juno
It's not starting an argument. You're genuinely not the level you claim you are, so I have advised you get extra tuition until you are. You need more lessons, and then when you have achieved a GCSE in English you can then move on. You might end up a year or two behind, but you'll actually have basic English skills.

But I am. Ive finished my GCSEs, I got an A* in English, I don't need any extra tuition. My typing skills on my small keyboard shouldn't show my English or grammatical skill, so you can't make bold assumptions like that based on a single question asked on an internet chat at 11pm while I'm tired and lethargic. So sorry for missing a couple of grammatical errors, but Im not horrible at English XD.
Reply 10
Original post by DarkEnergy
EPQs aren't that hard and look good on your application if you complete one and get a decent grade in it. Maybe do a couple of hours on it each week and you should be done fairly quick. My college didn't do them but if you have the choice I'd go for it.

Not sure what you mean by "something of our choice", and not sure what "smcs" is.

Thank you for the advice it was very helpful. Plus, something of our choice means we can do this research and essay based on pretty much whatever we like. Could be sport, music or a favourite lesson like history etc.
Reply 11
But I am. Ive finished my GCSEs, I got an A* in English, I don't need any extra tuition. My typing skills on my small keyboard shouldn't show my English or grammatical skill, so you can't make bold assumptions like that based on a single question asked on an internet chat at 11pm while I'm tired and lethargic. So sorry for missing a couple of grammatical errors, but Im not horrible at English XD.
I'm not posting any more because you won't admit it here - but we both know what you need to do. I wish you luck in your further studies.
Thank you for the advice it was very helpful. Plus, something of our choice means we can do this research and essay based on pretty much whatever we like. Could be sport, music or a favourite lesson like history etc.

No problem. I thought you meant the "something of our choice" was a different thing.

What's that SMCS thing though? We had to do an ASDAN qualification thing which involved some religious stuff and also a community fundraising activity, got us like 50 UCAS points. UCAS points don't really matter though as most unis will give offers of A-level grades not UCAS points. However, the experiences do give you something to talk about in your personal statement and nevertheless the extra qualifications buff your application up.
Reply 13
Original post by Juno
I'm not posting any more because you won't admit it here - but we both know what you need to do. I wish you luck in your further studies.

why so rude?
Reply 14
Original post by DarkEnergy
No problem. I thought you meant the "something of our choice" was a different thing.

What's that SMCS thing though? We had to do an ASDAN qualification thing which involved some religious stuff and also a community fundraising activity, got us like 50 UCAS points. UCAS points don't really matter though as most unis will give offers of A-level grades not UCAS points. However, the experiences do give you something to talk about in your personal statement and nevertheless the extra qualifications buff your application up.

Yeah, SMCS is quite similar to the ASDAN thing, it has something to do with RE, thanks anyway your advice was very useful :smile:
Yeah, SMCS is quite similar to the ASDAN thing, it has something to do with RE, thanks anyway your advice was very useful :smile:

No problem, good luck with whatever you choose to do.
Reply 16

What courses and universities are you considering?

Most aren't interested in qualifications that aren't relevant to the course. It's more important to focus on your 3 A-levels (or direct equivalents), plus possibly an EPQ (*some* universities relax their offers slightly for EPQs). Everything else is a diversion, that you should only undertake if you genuinely enjoy them.

And many universities/courses don't have UCAS points-based offers anyway.

Quick Reply

Latest