The Student Room Group

help me decide!!

guys I got all 4 of my ucas med offers. I'm an international student and I applied to glasgow, cardiff, sheffield and birmingham (kind of a a safety cos i like the other schools better). im sturggling to decide, I applied to these because I like the course and I heard these locations are cheaper to live in than places like london and as an international student - if i do end up going to study med in the UK the tuition is already insane...

I really like glasgow but the tuition is soo high, its literally more than half a million when you convert it to my currency. so i dont think (aside from the location) it being ranked so highly, looking like hogwarts and everyone saying its one of the best is worth it for me...

and from talking to some people from the uk I think that I should firm sheffield and insure cardiff. i know the accomodation at sheffield is really nice and i def need to stay there.

can someone help me decide by providing me with some extra knowledge about these schools? I've never been to the uk and cant really attend open days or offer holder days coz my exams are in a little over a month. Thanks!
If you don't mind i'm going to move this to a different forum to help you get some help 🙂 congrats on your offers!
Hi there! Cardiff student here 🙂 First of all, congrats on all your offers - that's an amazing achievement!

I think all the universities are really different location-wise. For example, Cardiff is unique in that it is a mix of nature parks and the city, being right next to the city center, but having a bit of a campus culture. I know that other cities are a bit different, so it really depends on your living preferences! Everything here is a walkable distance, which also means that living is just a bit easier - you don't have to worry too much about public transport.

I would also say how the course is taught is really important as well. The Cardiff site boasts itself as using a "innovative spiral curriculum" - some people may prefer that, some people may not. Whilst I am not a med student, there are Cardiff med students on a platform called Unibuddy if you wanted to ask them about their experiences of the course.

Student accommodation here is decent as well! I would say that its a good balance between affordability and comfort. I would also say that quite a few students, including international students sometimes go for private halls for the first year, which tend to be a bit more luxurious. But in general Cardiff is one of the most affordable cities in the UK :smile:

I hope that has helped, let me know if you did have any other questions :smile:

~ Fatiha, Cardiff University Student Rep

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending