The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Fisher Price being an American company?
Reply 41
bikerx23
Fisher Price being an American company?

Who used Chinese manufactures, who went against design plans and used lead paint on their own accord.
Reply 42
Apollo
Who used Chinese manufactures, who went against design plans and used lead paint on their own accord.

Can we have some justification of that comment?
Reply 43
bikerx23
Can we have some justification of that comment?

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,291789,00.html
Reply 44
Right, because News Corps' position on China is neutral and unbiased :rolleyes:
Reply 45
There are dozens of similar articles from around the world. Take your pick. Spare us the "biased source" argument.
Reply 46
Feel free to put forward "thousands of similar articles"

All I can say is you're doing a very poor job of separating the occurances in chinese manufacturing from those that occur in the US:

http://www.usrecallnews.com/food_drug_recall.php

Considering you can only claim to find a dozen examples, the fact that there have been that many in the US in one month, in one sector says that you are in a very poor position to comment.
Reply 47
What are you on about? I was referring to there being dozens of similar articles about the Chinese company adding lead paint. I wasn't saying there were only a dozen articles about recalled Chinese products.

If China would only agree to take a closer look at some of the things it exports, this could all be cleared up. Considering your government recently executed the former head of your FDA for exporting tainted products (among other things) this would seem like a logical next step.
Reply 48
As the UK has now pointed out a number of times - these manufacturers are Western-based companies, rather than Chinese ones. If the US government wishes to ensure that products produced by Western companies is up to scratch, they should introduce legislation to do so domestically.
Reply 49
alasdair_R
As the UK has now pointed out a number of times - these manufacturers are Western-based companies, rather than Chinese ones. If the US government wishes to ensure that products produced by Western companies is up to scratch, they should introduce legislation to do so domestically.

The US has already shown that that is not the case with many of these tainted products.
Reply 50
Apollo
What are you on about? I was referring to there being dozens of similar articles about the Chinese company adding lead paint. I wasn't saying there were only a dozen articles about recalled Chinese products.

If China would only agree to take a closer look at some of the things it exports, this could all be cleared up. Considering your government recently executed the former head of your FDA for exporting tainted products (among other things) this would seem like a logical next step.

Exactly. Then why the calls for a ban?
Reply 51
Where did I call for a ban? :confused:
Reply 52
I'm not talking about you personally Apollo, but about the bans, slowly but surely, being put on imports from China.

An article you could read (here).

EDIT: And also, this.
Reply 53
A Y Z
I'm not talking about you personally Apollo, but about the bans, slowly but surely, being put on imports from China.

An article you could read (here).

EDIT: And also, this.

Well, that goes hand in hand with our statement, doesn't it? If China would look more carefully at what it exports, we wouldn't be forced to halt seafood shipments, and thus this could be cleared up.
Reply 54
China already is. Read the other articles and news updates on that site.

So technically, this thread may have served its purpose.
NZ is not only concerned over the quality of Chinese exports, but has heard about the apparent 'slave labour' that is going on over there (which would be illegal in NZ and Australia) and is encouraging its citizens to use locally made products.
Reply 56
The US is very sad to hear of this news: http://www.cnn.com/2007/WORLD/asiapcf/08/13/china.toymaker.ap/index.html

Despite this, however, we would like to thank China for admitting there was a problem and temporarily banning exports from the company.
Reply 57
I would also like to point out that China has done everything it can to ensure quality control over the past few weeks.

Well done.
Reply 58
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/business/6946425.stm

The US would like to know what the "series of measures" discussed in the article are.
Reply 59
France is hopeful that China will place tighter control on its industry to prevent these events happening again.

Latest

Trending

Trending