The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Minardi
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/6930684.stm

Oh ****. This broke just over an hour ago, and having just got back from a long day harvesting its just what me and my dad didn't want to read. I recall well the last outbreak in 2001, the burning cattle etc. I don't want to see it again.

Time will tell.

Minardi

The chances are it will be contained. Even the Daily Mail hasnt called in the doommongers yet. http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/articles/news/news.html?in_article_id=473052&in_page_id=1770&ct=5
Reply 2
Last time it was a shambles, and as someone at the heart of the last outbreak (I watched the cattle of the farms around us burn, thankfully not ours) do you seriously think I have any confidence in the government to contain this?
Minardi
Last time it was a shambles, and as someone at the heart of the last outbreak (I watched the cattle of the farms around us burn, thankfully not ours) do you seriously think I have any confidence in the government to contain this?

I doubt the mistakes will be repeated, from what I have heard they have done something about it. They seem to be taking it very seriously, they are having a COBRA meeting tommorow.
Reply 4
The meetings are great..., its what actions are taken I'm more interested in. As I say, I'll beleive they have it under control when we have the all clear from the disease. I wouldn't trust this Government as far as I could throw them!
Minardi
The meetings are great..., its what actions are taken I'm more interested in. As I say, I'll beleive they have it under control when we have the all clear from the disease. I wouldn't trust this Government as far as I could throw them!

I wouldnt trust most governments, but I actually have some confidence in Gordon Brown. So far it seems they are taking all the actions needed. What i want to know is how it showed up in the first place again.
Reply 6
Imported meats, thats my guess. For some, Zebra/Rat/Whatever is a delicacy, and if its coming from infected countries (Africa, South America) then you have your trail.

Confidence in a Labour Government? After Years of Blair spin and failure? Youre having a laugh (But can we leave that for another thread)
Minardi
Imported meats, thats my guess. For some, Zebra/Rat/Whatever is a delicacy, and if its coming from infected countries (Africa, South America) then you have your trail.

Confidence in a Labour Government? After Years of Blair spin and failure? Youre having a laugh (But can we leave that for another thread)

Hmm, what happened to good old border control. I suppose there will always be the unscruplous who try to find ways around things, customs cant check everything.
Reply 8
If you ever go to county shows, you often find HMRC there showing you the tricks, its impressive, I have to say.
Minardi
If you ever go to county shows, you often find HMRC there showing you the tricks, its impressive, I have to say.

Hmm, i am not much of a rural person, so i havent been to these shows. They are clever people though, smugglers.
Reply 10
Country Bumpkin :biggrin:
Minardi
Country Bumpkin :biggrin:

I know I am terrible arnt I. When I hopefully go to Durham it will be a little more rural.
Can this disease bother/harm anyone except farmers and meat eaters? I've always wondered? Can it be passed on to humans etc?
Reply 13
My parents lost a whole years income because of that =/
They work at Agricultural shows and the lark,
Wasn't a good year at all =/

I also remember my friends farm, all of his sheep were killed/burnt
That was deffinatley not a good day either =/
Reply 14
missrevival
Can this disease bother/harm anyone except farmers and meat eaters? I've always wondered? Can it be passed on to humans etc?

In theory, yes. Last known case: 1966.
Reply 15
Olyy
My parents lost a whole years income because of that =/
They work at Agricultural shows and the lark,
Wasn't a good year at all =/

I also remember my friends farm, all of his sheep were killed/burnt
That was deffinatley not a good day either =/

Your not far form me, as we know! It wasn't a good year. I'm not far from Marston On Dove, the worst affected area around me. All 8 farms were hit, I think only one stayed in business.
Reply 16
Minardi
Your not far form me, as we know! It wasn't a good year. I'm not far from Marston On Dove, the worst affected area around me. All 8 farms were hit, I think only one stayed in business.

Yeah, my friends farm barely came through it,
His dad had to get another job as a builder, or something, so that kept them going

His family has had that farm for as long as they can remember, and they used it as their income etc. but it all changed after F&M, they still aren't back to how they were

It was a right bastard
I hope they contain it. I have 22 pedigree sheep and it would be a disaster to lose them. I dont know how many famers could go through it all a second time.
to be honest. if they manage to contain it i will be supprised. think of how many different places it probably is already. just saying for example a farmer went to visit his next door neighbours farm, and he went to visit his. plus it can spread by wind! its not good :frown:
Reply 19
Minardi
Imported meats, thats my guess.

Possibly.
Here's another scenario, extract taken from thepigsite.com, but obviously applies to bovines.

"In humid overcast weather with a steady light wind blowing over flat countryside infective virus may survive long enough to infect other herds up to 60km (36 miles) distant. Over water, given the same climatic conditions, infective virus has been shown to travel up to 300km (180 miles) so siting your pig herd on an island in a lake is not going to stop it. Windborne infection is impossible to guard against."

Latest

Trending

Trending