Just one sec...
Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free to post

Applying Through CAO - Need a Language

Announcements Posted on
Take our short survey, £100 of Amazon vouchers to be won! 23-09-2016
    • Thread Starter

    okay, so after the disaster of applying to uni in The Netherlands, I decided around April to instead go to tech, redo my A2s (and possibly some AS's) and do a fast track A Level.

    I am now doing 4 A levels recognised by the CAO (Ireland) universities as valid courses.
    The course I want to do is Politics and International Relations, although I'm considering maybe History or Sociology (all are BA's - even Sociology)

    Ideally, I want to go to UCD, and points/grades wise as long as my resits go to plan I should be able to get enough to get there.
    I don't have to have done Irish, even though I'm in Northern Ireland, but I do need another language for a BA and at GCSE I was told to drop French when I resat my GCSE's.

    I have ADD, and my French was so bad at GCSE I was told that basically I seemed to be putting a lot of effort in and getting little result, and that I just didn't seem to be really able to understand how to write French or get the grammar. I don't know if this was linked to my ADD, but one of the biggest problems I have with language is pronunciation and grammar - I did try Spanish and struggled to be able to understand how to write a sentence that was grammatically correct and not a literal translation.

    I may have to do GCSE French this year, as well as my A Levels, however I don't know how to apply as an individual candidate? I know if I do have to do a language, I will need a tutor.

    I know CAO have a language exemption for students with education need, but it specifically only mentions dyslexia as a reason to grant this exemption.

    Advice needed please!

    I think the best thing to do is contact CAO about this. They'll ought to tell you whether you need that language qualification or not.

    (Sorry I can't give more detailed advice)


Submit reply


Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

    6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

  4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: September 20, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Which would you rather be...?
Applying to uni

All the essentials

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Sponsored features:

Canterbury Christ Church University logo

Canterbury Christ Church University

Discover more about this community-focused university

More on applying to uni

Applying to uniA-level results day features

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22

Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.