The Student Room Group

Medieval and military history books

At first, I couldn't decide whether to post this in the "Books, literature and comics' section or here, because I don't do History as a subject. The first option was a bit too general to me, since most (I think) History enthusiasts don't visit that section of the forum. Since people who do History as a subject are usually passionate about the subject and know a lot of good history books, I've decided to make the thread here.

I'm interested in medieval and military history as a hobby (if it counts as a hobby).

Any recommended books I should read?
What kind of depth are you looking at? Some more academic tomes can be boring yet some pop history can be wrong.

By medieval I assume you are talking about Europe? The /r/askhistorians book list may be a good place to start, though it is not without its shortcomings and may not have quite what you're after. A university library would likely be necessary for some of those works.

https://www.reddit.com/r/AskHistorians/wiki/books/europe#wiki_middle_ages

Personally I liked John Julius Norwich in that time period with his works on Sicily and Byzantium (the 3 volume work). He writes well and brings colour, though it cannot be said that he writes for an academic audience.
I'd recommend Rupert Smith's Utility of Force. It's not medieval, but rather military history. It's covers prominent conflicts from the Napoleonic wars to the modern day, exploring the evolution of warfare.
Original post by Freddy Eddy
What kind of depth are you looking at? Some more academic tomes can be boring yet some pop history can be wrong.

By medieval I assume you are talking about Europe? The /r/askhistorians book list may be a good place to start, though it is not without its shortcomings and may not have quite what you're after. A university library would likely be necessary for some of those works.

https://www.reddit.com/r/AskHistorians/wiki/books/europe#wiki_middle_ages

Personally I liked John Julius Norwich in that time period with his works on Sicily and Byzantium (the 3 volume work). He writes well and brings colour, though it cannot be said that he writes for an academic audience.

I am seeking non-fiction ones, so factual ones please. Yes to Europe. I guess I'll have to wait until 2018 to get access to a university library, if time permits.

Original post by TangoWhisky
I'd recommend Rupert Smith's Utility of Force. It's not medieval, but rather military history. It's covers prominent conflicts from the Napoleonic wars to the modern day, exploring the evolution of warfare.

I will check that out.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending