The Student Room Group

Essay competitions?

I'm interested in entering a history essay competition but when it comes to sources, I'm not really sure where to begin. Of course there are lots of academic articles I can read about various topics but it's quite difficult to find primary sources on anything.

Does anyone have any ideas?
Are there any instructions as to what kind of history you should write about or what the theme of the essay is? E.g. write an essay about a historical figure, or write about the childhood in history.
Reply 2
Original post by reasonable-const
Are there any instructions as to what kind of history you should write about or what the theme of the essay is? E.g. write an essay about a historical figure, or write about the childhood in history.

So, there are a few that I'm interested in. One of them concerns the 1960s and whether there was a cultural revolution. I was thinking I could include oral history from people who lived through the time (family members, etc) but I don't know if that would be seen as inappropriate. There was another question on medieval history that interested me because I haven't studied it a great deal and would like to challenge myself (concerning whether the lives of kings are more interesting than peasants).
I could borrow some books from a local library on it but I feel like it would be incomplete without primary sources.
Original post by Gloobmaster
So, there are a few that I'm interested in. One of them concerns the 1960s and whether there was a cultural revolution. I was thinking I could include oral history from people who lived through the time (family members, etc) but I don't know if that would be seen as inappropriate. There was another question on medieval history that interested me because I haven't studied it a great deal and would like to challenge myself (concerning whether the lives of kings are more interesting than peasants).
I could borrow some books from a local library on it but I feel like it would be incomplete without primary sources.

Those both sound interesting. For the second one I found a guide to online primary sources which seems like a compilation of websites with sources on different topics including Medieval (Link below). Some require a login but there are some that don't. Check it out and see if it's what you are looking for.

https://ucsd.libguides.com/primarysources/medieval
Reply 4
Original post by reasonable-const
Those both sound interesting. For the second one I found a guide to online primary sources which seems like a compilation of websites with sources on different topics including Medieval (Link below). Some require a login but there are some that don't. Check it out and see if it's what you are looking for.

https://ucsd.libguides.com/primarysources/medieval

Thank you so much! You have been so helpful.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending