The Student Room Group

Oxford tops THE world rankings

Knocks CalTech off #1 spot for first time

https://www.timeshighereducation.com/news/world-university-rankings-2016-2017-results-announced

Cambridge stays at 4th
Imperial stays at 8th
UCL 15th
LSE 25th
Edinburgh 27th
KCL 36th
(edited 7 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by jneill

https://www.timeshighereducation.com/news/world-university-rankings-2016-2017-results-announced

Cambridge stays at 4th
Imperial stays at 8th
UCL 15th
LSE 25th
Edinburgh 27th
KCL 36th

Buggins must have his turn.

O look. Oxford has increased its proportion of foreign staff and its proportion of foreign students and because of that its score has gone up.
Original post by nulli tertius

O look. Oxford has increased its proportion of foreign staff and its proportion of foreign students and because of that its score has gone up.

They're preparing for the huge exodus of their academics after brexit. :tongue:
Original post by vincrows

Personally, I would be more worried about filling the positions for catering and cleaning staff.
Personally, I would be more worried about filling the positions for catering and cleaning staff.

Lol that's so true, but many academics in uk are actually thinking seriously about a possibility of moving out of uk because of fear of funding reduction/cut after brexit.

Brain drain of '70s reborn..........
Reply 5
THE World rankings you say?

Are there other worlds with rankings?
Reply 6
Original post by viffer
THE World rankings you say?

Are there other worlds with rankings?

Hilarious.

Spoiler

Reply 7
Original post by jneill
Hilarious.

Spoiler

Aaaaaah, you meant the THE rankings. You should have said so.
Original post by vincrows

According to the Guardian this morning, the RG unis are all preparing to open branch universities in Europe as a prelim to retaining EU staff and students.
Original post by jneill

Cambridge stays at 4th
Imperial stays at 8th
UCL 15th
LSE 25th
Edinburgh 27th
KCL 36th

It's kind of a warm fuzzy feeling. :teehee:

What's it like being three rungs below us?
Original post by jneill

Cambridge stays at 4th
Imperial stays at 8th
UCL 15th
LSE 25th
Edinburgh 27th
KCL 36th

Crap. There goes my chance:/
Reply 11
Original post by Fullofsurprises
It's kind of a warm fuzzy feeling. :teehee:

What's it like being three rungs below us?

Watch out for that vertigo...
Original post by jneill
Watch out for that vertigo...

I thought I heard a voice calling from far below...
Original post by Fullofsurprises
According to the Guardian this morning, the RG unis are all preparing to open branch universities in Europe as a prelim to retaining EU staff and students.

Yes, I've heard about it from a friend who's a journalist on education for a national newspaper.

One academic in my family already got a job offer in Germany. She said moving there next year from a research institute in UK which is one of the best in the world in the field.

A family friend who is a professor and head of department in a very famous London university is seriously contemplating going back to USA where he came from over 30 yrs ago.

Prospect of funding and possibility of British academics excluded from projects because of brexit is the biggest worry among many academics now.

Interesting assumption.

Oxford's "international outlook" increased by 0.1%, "teaching" increased by 3.1%, "research" by 0.2%, "citation" by 0.4%, "industry income" by 10.6% but of course since 0.1 is a bigger number than 14.3 its increase overall must've been because of international staff and students.
Really... I thought it was London met
I thought Harvard University or Massachusetts Institute of Technology which were ranked 1st? :s-smilie:
Original post by Trapz99
Really... I thought it was London met

London Met is in a band which means it is ranked somewhere between 601-800 in the world. As there are about 3000 universities London Met is in the top half.

There are three UK universities ranked 800+ and many more not ranked.

Indeed this may be the best ranking result London Met has ever achieved.🏆💽💰💯🔆

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 18
When I look at the snobs; bullies; ignorant, conceited rich-kids; and personifications of pure arrogance that Oxford University has, by way of the Tory party, put into British Government over the last 40 years, I do not see much to commend the place.

I'd actually rather like to see the place removed from the British academic map. It served a purpose only up until Cambridge was founded, and precious little after real universities like UCL, founded on academic principle rather than wealth and religious bigotry.

Oxford: beautiful city, but the university has had its day. A LONG time ago.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Tony S
When I look at the snobs; bullies; ignorant, conceited rich-kids; and personifications of pure arrogance that Oxford University has, by way of the Tory party, put into British Government over the last 40 years, I do not see much to commend the place.

I'd actually rather like to see the place removed from the British academic map. It served a purpose only up until Cambridge was founded, and precious little after real universities like UCL, founded on academic principle rather than wealth and religious bigotry.

Oxford: beautiful city, but the university has had its day. A LONG time ago.

Most Tory MPs have not gone to Oxford, and some that have gone there don't even become ministers.There is more to it than that. John Major didn't go to university.

Oxford isn't the best in the World, as that would be impossible to quantify objectively. But 1st place in the THE World ranking is great marketing fodder.

Quick Reply